Renix Alternator Upgrade?

Hello all!

My 88 MJ 4.0L alternator is going out. You should hear the bearing getting ready throw, LOL.

I am running a nice stereo, h4 headlights, and some offroad lights And maybe in the future when I build a new bumper it may have a winch on it?

This is where I wish I had a H.O. but I have the Renix. (had a 136amp on my 95XJ from a Durango) Renix has different regulator than new ones.

What are my options of getting a more amp alternator for the Renix? I would like to goto a junk yard and get one. Instead of have mine rebuilt to a 120 or 136 or whatever. Think cheap!!! :cheers:

And in the spring when it warms up I will upgrade the wiring/fuseable link. I need to do that anyway for my headlights.

Thanks

Hello all!

My 88 MJ 4.0L alternator is going out. You should hear the bearing getting ready throw, LOL.

I am running a nice stereo, h4 headlights, and some offroad lights And maybe in the future when I build a new bumper it may have a winch on it?

This is where I wish I had a H.O. but I have the Renix. (had a 136amp on my 95XJ from a Durango) Renix has different regulator than new ones.

What are my options of getting a more amp alternator for the Renix? I would like to goto a junk yard and get one. Instead of have mine rebuilt to a 120 or 136 or whatever. Think cheap!!! :cheers:

And in the spring when it warms up I will upgrade the wiring/fuseable link. I need to do that anyway for my headlights. Thanks

The alternator on your 88 is a Delco CS-130, most likely the 75A variety. There are several things you can do.

1. The cheapest way out is a direct swap with a higher output Delco CS-130 alt; these are 105A. GM made hundreds of thousands on these alternators from 1986 to 1996 for their cars and pickups. The cost of a Delco CS-130 alternator at the junkyard should be $10.00 to $15.00. Direct bolt-in.

2. Have your alt rebuilt by a reputable shop. They can be rebuild up to 190A, but more expensive than the Chev. alt.

3. Swap out your Delco alt brackets for the HO alt brackets and add the 136A Nippon Denso alt. That's the one I have on my 91. But you will also have to add an external voltage regulator, because the HO ND alts are regulated by the ECU.

I just had mine go out and I just went to Advance Auto Parts and ordered the higher output one. I believe it is $80 maybe...??? But be prepared to convince the counter guys that you are right that it will fit and they are wrong.... Just a heads up... Some are fantastic, my brother works at one....other counter guys are computer readers.....thats all...

I you are running that much load that you need an alternator with more than 100 amps you need to COMPLETELY rewire your entire truck with heavier wires, fuses, circuit breakers relays, and switches.Dual Batteries will supply the load but what are you going to charge them with? I have a nearly new rebuilt alt from Autozone that works perfect I will let go for $40+ shipping will put out 14.2v under load. Good Cables no replacement ends,good grounds and clean connections are a must.BTDT Adding a big alt on aweak electrical system will get you nowhere. Good Luck

shoot- I`d just throw in an upgraded alternator, and go for a duel battery setup-

Dual batteries are generally overkill with anything less than a winch. But a good quality battery would be nice for sure. :thumbsup: I've been using an optima redtop for years and it's handled everything I've ever thrown at it (like a big honkin' stereo system). :D

The alternator on your 88 is a Delco CS-130, most likely the 75A variety. There are several things you can do.

1. The cheapest way out is a direct swap with a higher output Delco CS-130 alt; these are 105A. GM made hundreds of thousands on these alternators from 1986 to 1996 for their cars and pickups. The cost of a Delco CS-130 alternator at the junkyard should be $10.00 to $15.00. Direct bolt-in.

2. Have your alt rebuilt by a reputable shop. They can be rebuild up to 190A, but more expensive than the Chev. alt.

3. Swap out your Delco alt brackets for the HO alt brackets and add the 136A Nippon Denso alt. That's the one I have on my 91. But you will also have to add an external voltage regulator, because the HO ND alts are regulated by the ECU.

Do you know of one that is 105A and which GM has one under the hood?

I like option 3, Where could I get a voltage regulator? Do you know of any vehicles I could pull one from at the JK?

So just swap the delco bracket for the ND bracket and use a ND alt from a v8 zj or durango. And use a external voltage regulator from "x"?

Do you think I could get way from using swapping the fuse able link and wires to bigger ones for a few weeks if I do this. If not I will just do option 1.