'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought you were gunna lift it more and put the 3s under it? looks awsome though

...was the plan... yeah. For now, the 31s are still brand new so I'll just run those until it needs tires again. Then it'll grow up.

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I've done anything with this... probably because nothing has happened with the truck. Problem is, I drive 140+ miles everyday so, sadly, the Eliminator has stayed in the garage since its completion back in October. Very happily, I had an excuse to take it out today! The plow went through and the neighbors decided to avoid cleaning out the end of their driveway... in comes the MJ to pull them out! Granted, it wasn't that stuck... still... why not?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thats a sweet truck what kind of light bar is that? it makes the truck look so much meaner i like it

Thanks dude! The light bar consists of hacked up XJ Yakima roof rack mounts and a custom rack in the middle. I do have an issue with the mounts though. Problem is, with the height of the whole assembly, it can shift around back and forth... around town, I don't think it would be an issue, but at highway speeds I think it might loosen up. I am currently working on getting a factory roll bar for the truck. The plan is to get rid of the old roof rack mounts and mount the light rack on the roll bar pretty much just keeping the hoop and light guards.

Even if you made it easy on yourself and went with the light bar you showed, you could add the guards around at anytime. What I did was use thin wall aluminum tubing that fit in an electrical conduit bender. I figured out how much radius I wanted and just sorta kept bending and cutting tubing until I thought there was enough there. Steel would work just the same... cheaper too.

ive been looking for a light bar for the roof that would be easy to take off and on and yours looks great the closest i came to finding something was this http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep-Ti ... =CAR210341 but those metal guards you have is what makes the look i feel like

Its a shame you don't have the factory lightbar accessory for putting 4 lights on a factory roll bar... Its one of the few things I think I forgot to show you...

Rob

yea i got a friend at a body shop that said he could make everything look really clean with the light bar i was looking t but i don't no cause your light bar looks extremly awesome and i don't have the equipment to do half the stuff i see here that you guys do I'm more of a driveway wrencher then extreme fabricator like most of the guys on CC lol but i do love seeing what you guys come up with

Very good day in the truck! Lots of power zipping around town. No wobble at all. Slight clunk in the front end after a day of driving... need to go through and torque everything again. So, what does one do on a shake down run on their new MJ? Go get other MJ parts, of course!

First scratches!

First mess!

Slight issue, though. That's what I get for letting an engine sit for so long... leaking o-ring on an injector:

Sign of things to come (addition of the roll bar):

I've been picking at this truck for a while now and I think I've gotten some pretty good parts out of it:

Hacked up factory brush guard:

The buckets came from another deal… but it’s too bad that Jeep never made a crew cab from the factory:

The Chief also had power locks and windows. Grabbed the wiring and switches:

Anyhow… I figure it was a good day. I’m kicking around the idea of selling some of it especially the Dana 44 and driveshaft all because I’m moving soon and it’s heavy. The other stuff can sit on shelves easy. Hmm… I dunno. biggrin.png

Slightly productive day. I managed to replace the leaking o-ring on the injector today. I had an extra fuel rail sitting on my shelf that I grab parts from. Got the o-ring replaced and put back together… first injector leaks. Okay. Pull it all apart again and replace that o-ring. Seems as though I didn’t put on enough petroleum jelly on the bottom of the ring and the cup on the fuel rail torn that o-ring. Put it put back together and?… the second injector starts leaking. Take it apart again to replace that one and put it back together and it still leaks! Do it all one more time with plenty of jelly on everything and it all just pops together. No whammies… no whammies… NO LEAKS! I was ecstatic to say the least.

That’s a happy truck!

The rollbar in that thing is just what it needed.

Did you grab that visor?

Rob

I agree! With the over weight bumper on the front and the spare on the back, the overall length is less than desirable. With the roll bar up there, I think it just kinda adds something more in the middle to distract the eye from all those long, sexy stripes. Another thing cool is all those lights!!!

... or not. :roll: Obviously, the cheaper (yeah cheaper than the ones already up there) and more rusty ones than the ones I already have are going to hit the bricks.

As for the visor, I already got a PM on it. The poor Chief that the parts came from sat outside for its whole life. That visor was voter, counsel member, and mayor of fiberglass cracks-ville. I figured I would let it return to the earth with the rest of the truck.

Sick day! I got sick and tired of sitting around being sick and tired today so I decided to go out to the shop and be sick and tired out there.

Decided to take a look at getting the new roll bar put in. It had some extra holes for a rear facing light that I wanted to fill. I needed to return my tanks for my welders too so I figured that it should get done before then. The holes were taken care of just fine but I also noticed that the drainage hole in one of the angled legs was all plugged up causing a small rust hole to form. These roll bars aren't very thick so a section of exhaust tubing worked out just great to scab in. The remainder of the surface rust was taken care of and a coat of primer went on. I'll paint it on Friday and add some bed liner to each leg about eight inches up from the floor. Also took down the light rack off the roof and cut it down to its new size. It needs a couple of mounting tabs to mount it to its new home.

Sorry... no pictures of the rust. Really, we all know what that looks like anyhow.

Went back to work today... still kinda sick feeling but I needed to rework the mounts on my light rack since I returned the tanks off of my welders. Anyhow, I did those and I got a few coats of satin black on the roll bar to match the bumpers. Now tomorrow I should be able to go out and get some new hardware to mount this "swing set"! :banana:

Lemme know if you wanna sell those black interior pieces!

Once you go black, you never go back.

Rob

True that, my '99 XJ was black, and somehow I ended up with a black MJ as well.

Loving the build so far, keep it comin! Can't wait to see that roll bar installed :popcorn:

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023