Adding AC

Finding just the right MJ is proving difficult. One of the things I want is AC, but a lot I'm finding do not have it.

Has anyone added AC to an MJ and if so how and what parts did you use? What things to watch for? Not worth it?

It takes quite a bit of work. I can't remember all thats involved, I'm sure someone will chime in with that. IMO its not really worth it on our trucks, it is better to get a sliding rear window and just roll the windows down when the cab gets too hot.

I have.

you need to remove the dash to do the swap. it's really alot easier than it sounds though.

also need to remove the upper radiator support.

go get a cherokee's a/c heaterbox (remove the dash to get at it). this bolts through from the firewall side with 6 bolts. make sure you get the control panel. also get the hoses, a/c pump, a/c bracket, a/c drier, and a/c condensor.

while you're doing this...you may as well use parts ONLY from a 1995+ cherokee, which uses R-134 freon. this is what is available for cars right now, so in the long run it is cheaper.

buy a new a/c drier. you only need the old one for the bracketry...never use a used a/c drier, your system won't ever get cold enough and you will waste $$$ on freon that way.

you may wish to get a new evaporator inside the heaterbox right away, so you don't ever have to drop the dash again.

also, you may wish to get a new(er) condensor too, but it may be just fine.

I suggest upgrading to the 95 a/c pump and bracket along with the swap...it is a better pump.

basically, don't piecemeal this...get the parts all from one 1995 to 1996 cherokee.

I have done half of this swap on my wheeling comanche...I still need to swap the a/c condensor and hoses and a/c drier in and then have it vacuumed then charged.

Best thing you can do is locate an XJ as a canabal queen that has the same motor as you have. Locating a 94 or newer isnt neccesary. Retrofit parts are available and cheap,no matter what a new drier is mandatory,once exposed to moisture in the air they are done.Take the entire dash including ducts,controls,temp cable,wiring,complete A/C case,hoses,vacuum hoses,compressor,condensor all brackets and fasteners.Drain all the old A/C oil out of all components and add 8 oz. of oil to the compressor,install retrofit fittings and vacuum the system down and recharge with 75% of the recomended A/C charge with R134a.Additional condensor fans are great if available and may be needede to make it work at optimun efficiency.I am ASE certified in A/C and any questions you have feel free to PM me. PS if you live in a climate like I do it iis definatly worth the effort. Good Luck soapbox.gif

I'm converting my non-AC 89 MJ using a factory kit.

Jeepco...sounds like you're running a 95 XJ complete AC system. I wonder how similar the wiring/ fittings would be between the Renix years and Chryco. I'm guessing you stripped the donor or all behind the dash wiring and hoses, etc. No issues with AC cutoff switch, etc by mixing years?

I was running a 94 xj a/c box prior to the engine upgrade...I upgraded ALL wiring to 95 when I did the swap.

to put the 94/95 heaterbox and a/c system in a renix would be simple...use everything from the xj and bolt it in.

the switch panels after 1987 are all the same connectors.