What Diff do I have

I have a 86 longbed MJ with 2.5L and a 4 speed. I need to confirm exactly what diff I have. The prior owner might have swapped them on me.

Here are the pictures - need help please in identifying

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Thanks

I'm ordering lockers and wanted to make sure before spending all that money

Going with Aussie

um.

DON'T buy a locker for the dana 35...buy one for a dana 44 and upgrade to a dana 44 before going with a rear locker.

you will regret having spent $400 on an axle that's only worth $50 NO MATTER WHAT condition it's in.

Interesting - that's why I turn to you - to much for one person to know

Going to do a search and see what an upgrade involves

a dana 44 rear axle will run around $250 to $600 depending on where you are, and what kind of shape it is in (plus what gears are in it)

I payed $300 for one with 4.10 gears, but have gotten several comanches complete with dana 44 rears for the price of $250 or less.

now since you're locking it, you may as well think about new gears too...this will save you money in the long run.

swapping a dana 44 from a comanche into a comanche in requires simply getting new ubolts and rebuilding the brakes, then swapping it in. you will also probably have to get your driveshaft shortened, though if you lift it around 4" this may not be necessary.

you can put a cherokee dana 44 in it too, and it's the same process except that you need to cut off the old spring perches and weld new ones on in the correct width and SUA.

if you want free 5.5" to 6" of lift in the rear, now is the time to SOA the rear end (spring over axle).

Ok found a comanche dana 44 with a limited slip for $325

But how do I tell what gears I currently have

take a look at the tags on the differentials. there should be one on each axle. the easiest one is on the front axle. if you're looking at the front of the front differential, the tag is on the left hand side of the diff, between two bolts. the numbers are located near the top bolt holding the tag in and are punched in sideways. you may need to scrape them off...

if you have luck like I do & can`t never find a D44, a 8.8 from a ford explorer is another choice for a rear axle swap & you get disc brakes to go with it. Explorer 8.8s usually have 3.73s or 4.10s

Remove cover and rotate drive shaft (with at least one wheel on off the ground if rear axle) until you can see the numbers stamped into the ring gear. Two of the numbers (either first two or last two, can't remember) are number of teeth on ring gear and pinion gear. Divide first by second gives you ratio. Ie 41 10 is 4.10, 39 11 is 3.55., 43 14 is 3.07.

Lost out - the previous owner removed both cover plates and did not put the tags back on

so I need another way to identify - seems like counting the number of wheel revolutions compared to drive shaft would tell me somehting?

that will ball-park it. turn from the driveshaft. mark the tire in some way so you can accurately count the wheel spins.

better to take the cover off and look at the two numbers on the ring gear. one larger (like 39) and one smaller (like 11) then divide larger by smaller (39/11) to get gear ratio.

probably your best bet. I'd remove the rear diff cover as the dana 35 probably needs more close inspection than the front dana 30. if you clean up the bottom of your differential and the edges of your cover before you remove it, then drain the gear oil ensuring that it's clean into a clean drain pan, you can just RTV the cover back on when you're done and re-use the fluid if you want to.

unfortunately there's no other way to tell 100%.

I'm all most decided it does not matter - since it is best to rebuild the 25 before installing it and I think I want more power to the ground

I'm leaning towards putting new 4.10's in the front and rear

4 speed, 2.5L running 30x9.5 but more then likely will go to 31x10.5 next - already have the clearance resolved

used this chart

Image Not Found

that will ball-park it. turn from the driveshaft. mark the tire in some way so you can accurately count the wheel spins.

Actually, you can spin a rear tire one revolution while counting the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes.

If the driveshaft turns about 3.5 revolutions, you have 3.55 gears. If the driveshaft turns about four times, you have 4.10 gears, and so on.

whichever. it's easier for me to follow how many times the larger object (tire) has turned than it is to follow the small driveshaft's rotations.

it really doesn't matter which way you go. if it takes you 4.1 turns on the driveshaft to make the tire rotate once, you have 4.10 gears.

ANYWAYS, to the original poster. if you are staying with a 4 cylinder you should go to 4.56's right off the bat. if you are upgrading to a 4.0 and 5 speed then 4.56's will still work great around 2800 rpm's at 70mph from my understanding, and with a 4.0 and auto and 31's you'd be around that with 4.88 gears.

the 4 cylinder is underpowered any way you go, so always add at least one gear size up.

Actually, you can spin a rear tire one revolution while counting the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes.

If the driveshaft turns about 3.5 revolutions, you have 3.55 gears. If the driveshaft turns about four times, you have 4.10 gears, and so on.

If you only spin one rear tire, you rotate the tire twice and count the revolutions of the driveshaft. If both tires will spin together, then you only rotate them tire once. :thumbsup: Counting the revs is a fairly reliable way to tell what's inside.

The general rule of thumb is that a 2.5L + 4speed manual will have 3.55 gears. But it's no guarantee, especially in 86.

Ok I have two choices - I have found a Comanche DANA 44 and a Explorer 8.8

All things being equal which would be better

"All things being equal"...they both have their advantages. The D44 will be a direct bolt in making it an easy job. The 8.8 should have the advanatage of disc brakes, but is going to require a fair amount of fab work to install. As far as strength...I don't think there is enough difference to make one better than the other.