Hehehehe, check out this little thing I scored:

MJ127.jpg

I will use one switch for the heated mirrors, one for my foglights, probably leaving 2 extra light switches for accessory lighting. If my diesel ECU has a high idle option I may choose to enable that and get the stock high idle switch.

I got that 4 switch panel in my DD XJ. I also got the factory high idle switch. Its sweet.

Ya, 4 panel switch, defog, wipe, foglight, and high idle....its the way to go!

though for the MJ I have no need for the wiper, and I will tie the defrost into the heated mirrors. this will give me mirror control, fogs, and two acessory fog circuits........

If I could find a way to get the high idle switch to work I would.......hmmm, I actually might be able to do that, if I tied it into the APPS circuit with the right voltage to trick the ECU to up the rpm.........hmmm, I think I could do that.

If I could find a way to get the high idle switch to work I would.......hmmm, I actually might be able to do that, if I tied it into the APPS circuit with the right voltage to trick the ECU to up the rpm.........hmmm, I think I could do that.

I know on the 2.5 engines there is a switch on the power steering pump that bumps up the idle a few hundred RPM when turning the wheels near the stops to prevent stalling. Do the diesels have that setup? Or is that what you are calling the APPS circuit?

I know on the 2.5 engines there is a switch on the power steering pump that bumps up the idle a few hundred RPM when turning the wheels near the stops to prevent stalling. Do the diesels have that setup? Or is that what you are calling the APPS circuit?

No. The APPS is the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. It is the drive by wire POT that controls the throttle on a diesel engine:

MJ75.jpg

Okay - didn't know that. In fact, don't know much at all about diesels. :brows: There's a thread over on NAXJA that lists various years and models of XJs and MJs and details how an extended idle circuit is wired in by using the ECU and the aformentioned power steering switch. Don't remember seeing the diesel listed though.......

Hey Sam, is that a 6 wire connector? If it is, the APPS is actually two APPS in one. And the strategy is that the voltage on apps 2 is always double voltage on apps 1. If the controller ever sees anything different is goes in to a limp in with a DTC. So you would need to engineer two resistors to keep the voltage in the right ratio. Or you could do the bubba method. Find yourself a broom handle and cut it to different lengths to wedge between the pedal and the seat :D . Different length = different idle speed.

Get you a small 12V solenoid hook it to your throttle linkage, so when you hit the switch it pushes the throttle open a bit.

Diesels don't have throttle plates.

Oh yeah,, for the CRD project... :doh:

How many RPM would it have to step up too?

I guess I learn something new about these things every day. I never knew about the extended idle switch in the XJ's. I also thought that that switch panel for the fogs/ext idle/rear def/wipers was only a three switch panel, as 2 of my XJs have 3 switches, and one has only 1 in that spot (base model with only rear wipers, has spots for the other 2 switches with blockk off plates, but no space for a ext idle). :hijack:

Hey Sam, is that a 6 wire connector? If it is, the APPS is actually two APPS in one. And the strategy is that the voltage on apps 2 is always double voltage on apps 1. If the controller ever sees anything different is goes in to a limp in with a DTC. So you would need to engineer two resistors to keep the voltage in the right ratio. Or you could do the bubba method. Find yourself a broom handle and cut it to different lengths to wedge between the pedal and the seat :D . Different length = different idle speed.

Is it not, I am using the XJ APPS and mating it to the KJ APPS. I have the reference voltages for the KJ APPS, but I don't have them from a XJ, and I haven't been able to measure the output voltage yet, hopefully the specs are the same or I will be able to resistor trick them to be close enough.

XJ_KJ_APPS.png

You can follow these types of developments more closely here in my build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10092

I guess I learn something new about these things every day. I never knew about the extended idle switch in the XJ's. I also thought that that switch panel for the fogs/ext idle/rear def/wipers was only a three switch panel, as 2 of my XJs have 3 switches, and one has only 1 in that spot (base model with only rear wipers, has spots for the other 2 switches with blockk off plates, but no space for a ext idle). :hijack:

Three switch in the US. I have only seen the 3 switch here, even on police models, but the 4 switch is pretty common overseas, they all have rear wiper, rear defrost, and rear fogs.

Then on those that have the optional front fogs there is the 4 switch panel.

Here's what the switch looked like in the pre-96 XJs. AFAIK the earliest use of the extended idle option was in the 1992 "police Package" XJs.

Click Here

Yup, there ECU just has a provision for the high idle as one circuit, so its pretty easy to add to any gasoline XJ.

I don't think the diesel XJs had the option though.