New hood or hood louvers

i have been looking at hoods, mostly that cowl induction one from quadratec, but the price is kinda out there especially being in hawaii. But found some louvers instead and it would be a waste to toss out a perfectly good hood( and the hardware is welded on). But then also it rains here ALOT, would alot of water get in the louvers when its parked? Since they will probly be in the usual place you see the lebaron conversion. Ive already had my TPS wet and that wasnt fun. So if you have had any experience with either please throw in your 2 cents. Thanks in advance.

here's the louvers I'm looking at.

http://www.raceace.com/products.html#productsside

the 9x14 gloss black

or

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.asp ... id=LVR1005

I have never had a problem with my hood vents. Ever. People are willing to throw their jeeps through rivers up to the windows, and submerge them in mud over the hood, but they worry about water in the engine compartment from rain (not necessarily about you 702).

LOL just wonderin cuz theres times it will sit for days in the rain, under some trees i don't get the garage :fs1: I wasnt worried about truckn through rivers and stuff cuz usually water will boil off cuz its hot and you make that little bow wave thing. Any way just wondering when it sits, will water get in and eventually cause rust, short wires, or anything like that? My truck is not a fan of water, at all. Alternator went bad after mudding( dirty water), tps went bad after washing the engine grease :doh: my idiotics listening to a friend. Mudd i can handle, but when the dry lake fills up outside of boulder city nv with water and i tried wheeling with a ram and a bronco on 37's through it, didnt work out. Fell into a 4' deep whole she trucked along but later that night the truck just shut off. Not a good experience.

If theres no problems which would you suggest. I'm partial to the 9x14's in black but for $160 i better see my temp gauge stay in one place when i sit in traffic.

I don't like water getting into the engine compartment either. It depends on the hood vent you use, where you install them, and putting in drip pans. I went with the factory ZJ vents on my MJ w. the drip pans, and can drive thru typhoons w/o water coming in where I don't want it. 'Bout 3/4 down the page on Gojeeps site:

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoBonnetVents.htm

Don

I run the LaBarron one's on several of my rigs and they work well; plus I think they look better than any others.

I was considering those too. And from the looks of it i don't think its over the throttle body or tps, if i run into a set ill throw those on.

And another reason i was considering the cowl induction is cuz it would make room for a throttle body spacer. But which works better a spacer or a bored throttle body?

Those vents on the pic that wolf pack posted look good, but they arent flush with the hood. I'm sure that could be fixed.

Maybe ill get a set of lebarons, and some genrights up front like that. But then i would have to make a rain diverter for the one over my intake.

The whole idea is still up in the air.

Sure the cowl induction hood is a few dollars more (I think I got mine for just under $400) but just think of all the time you will save. Depending on who you ask… I also think they look and function better then vents. I vote for the new cowl hood!

Well where did you buy it? How does it cool the engine idling, on the trail, in traffic and what not. I'm in hawaii so thats what I'm taking into account, either i find a dealer for that hood and buy it or purchase it off the internet $400 plus the added hundred for freight and what ever other costs and the wait time. So I'm looking at $500+ and weeks to months depending on the shipping.

Then i could buy the vents. For $60+ from genright, $160 from race ace or scout out some lebarons.

But i want to put a bored throttle body and 1"spacer. As of now theres barely enough room for my k&n intake, the part that attaches to the throttle body rubs the hood supports. Thats one of the main reasons i wanted the cowl induction. But if a bored throttle body is as good as a spacer then ill just get a bored TB and some vents. And i won't have a spare hood lying around rusting under my house.

Sure the cowl induction hood is a few dollars more (I think I got mine for just under $400) but just think of all the time you will save. Depending on who you ask… I also think they look and function better then vents. I vote for the new cowl hood!

Well where did you buy it? How does it cool the engine idling, on the trail, in traffic and what not. I'm in hawaii so thats what I'm taking into account, either i find a dealer for that hood and buy it or purchase it off the internet $400 plus the added hundred for freight and what ever other costs and the wait time. So I'm looking at $500+ and weeks to months depending on the shipping.

Then i could buy the vents. For $60+ from genright, $160 from race ace or scout out some lebarons.

But i want to put a bored throttle body and 1"spacer. As of now theres barely enough room for my k&n intake, the part that attaches to the throttle body rubs the hood supports. Thats one of the main reasons i wanted the cowl induction. But if a bored throttle body is as good as a spacer then ill just get a bored TB and some vents. And i won't have a spare hood lying around rusting under my house.

I bought them out of the Essentials magazine (Quadratec). I think the information in the link that Don provided above is pretty accurate, regarding the cooling and clearance aspects.

I guess it comes down to if you have the time/patience to cut the holes and fab the drip pans, you can save the money for another project. I prefer the looks of the cowl hood and it definitely allows for increased air circulation – fits my needs. You could probably recuperate some $ buy selling your old hood instead of having it sit around and rusting away. I just gave mine to the cable installer.

yeah i found who makes it too. Reflexxion automotive, if anyone cares. I think my idea still stands with the hood, just gotta find new hardware since my dad welded them on when he owned the truck. Plus i saw a comanche that was a spittn image of mine just with the cowl induction hood and it was a metalic sky blue. Man once i saw that i had to have one. Yeah I'm sure i could sell it or keep it around and save for another project :brows:. Thanks again guys.

I just got my Reflexxion hood on yesterday. I bought it throught www.4wd.com and they offered free in-store pickup at a nearby 4WheelParts store. Plus, I got a 10% discount when they recently had a sale.

The assistant manager in the store said that I got lucky because there was a glitch in their system. It was supposed to charge me an additional $150 surcharge, but didn't. And he said that the omission would soon be rectified. But I just checked and they still haven't fixed it. So anybody in the lower 48 can still get the hood with free shipping.

I also checked to see if the free in-store pickup is available in Hawaii. And unfortunately, it is not. It would cost you $640 total.

So maybe the louvers are a better idea for you.

LOL case and point. Well taxes are comin i think uncle sam owes me something for workin at that damn lube shop. It looks too damn good!!!! Ill take the money out of my flexalite fan fund and dump it into my kool hood fund that does the fans job, thats a few extra dollars! Finaly figured out how to hook my aux fan to a switch anyway, so the extra +200 bucks for the flexalite fan can go to the hood.

For that freight charge imagine the TNT long arm kit i want, HAHAHAHAHA I'm SCREWED..............i despise this hunk of rock.

Thanks for helping me make my mind up. Thing looks mean johnnyc that 97'+ front end sets it off nice and the hood makes it even better.

:cheers:

thermistor controllers are about $50

thermister controllers? what are those?

It's this controller that varies the temp when the electric fan kicks on and off... It's adjustable between 160 F and 220 if I recall...

That adjusting the temp to kick off high in the winter and low in the summer works for me just fine.... I have a 170 F thermostat that I sometimes run instead of the 195 F one also...

Last summer it was in the upper 90s a few times and we had a snow storm last month that had the city in the 20s.... most of the time the weather is in the middle...

The Renex closed system gave up the ghost a couple of summers ago and I was advised to go to this set up w/the open radiator conversion (in my 89 MJ)

Not sure if you want a cowl or lovers for aesthetics or not... most peeps go to a cowl over cooling on an MJ if I'm not mistaken.

Oh yeah a thermostat controller i guess, yeah now i know. The whole thermistor thing threw me off.

I wanted to do that at first. Convert to an electric fan with one of those so i can set it when to come on.

But i finally figured out how to turn the aux fan to a switch. here's the link tell me what you think.

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/stocker/fan.switch.htm

My cousin did the same to his truck but he never had AC. I do and i don't know if i do that will the AC relay still kick the fan on when i turn on the AC or defrost. Or will i have to do that manually.

May sound like a pansy wanting my AC but i want to drive it to my 4x4 spots, or camping, and its my DD.

I have never had a problem with my hood vents. Ever. People are willing to throw their jeeps through rivers up to the windows, and submerge them in mud over the hood, but they worry about water in the engine compartment from rain (not necessarily about you 702).

I had rain water finding its way past the rear hood seal and down through my firewall to end up under my carpet. So I'm a little paranoid about opening up new holes in my hood. :( Of course, that didn't stop me from popping that big hole for the exhaust fan in my 88. But I tried to keep out the rain as best I could.

I had rain water finding its way past the rear hood seal and down through my firewall to end up under my carpet. So I'm a little paranoid about opening up new holes in my hood. :( Of course, that didn't stop me from popping that big hole for the exhaust fan in my 88. But I tried to keep out the rain as best I could.

Yeah i was almost tempted to ask you about that scoop on your hood. I like it, but i think the cowl is the style I'm looking for and it will cool it when on the trail. And once i hook my aux fan to a switch it will push all that air to the back and out the hood. So i asume.

Couple things I learned with my "scoop". On the freeway, air is continuously being sucked out of the engine bay due to an apparent lower pressure above the hood compared to below the hood. And anything that escapes out the hood area can be sucked in to the cab through the cab intake. I found that I could smell the oil from the engine bay. But thankfully, when I turned on the fan it forced the stinky air out into the airstream going over the truck and the smell went away. :thumbsup: I had to leave the fan on continuously for 4 days straight out to Moab, but lesson learned. :doh: