exhaust pipe hitting xmember

There's supposed to be a bracket on the rear side of the crossmember that bolts to the lower 2 flange bolts that connect the (stock) catalytic converter to the (stock) front pipe.

With an after market exhaust, there may not be a 4 bolt flange connector there and you're going to have to figure something out yourself.

Ok, I think I "fixed" it. I jacked up the exhaust a little and put a nut between the exhaust and the xmember and it went away for now. I took it to the exhaust shop and they just pried it up until the noise went away but that lasted less than ~20 miles. I guess thats what they're warranty is then. :shake:

The exhaust hitting the cross member is usually because the cushion for the transfer case mount has collapsed. That's not covered by the muffler shop's warranty.

Tranny mounts are expensive. You can just shim the mount with a couple of flat washers to get enough clearance to eliminate the exhaust rattle.

Hijack because of a related problem.

I just got a Cherokee, which had a trailer hitch installed just weeks ago. Tail pipe is up against trailer hitch and rattles once in a while. Is there any type of material I can force between the two like rubber or so to eliminate the rattle that will not be affected (ie melt) by the exhaust heat?

Like Eagle says, its the mount collapsing with age, fatigue or just getting oil soaked. Pretty easy fix, if you can swing the mounts cost. The side of the mount has a hanger that the flange for the cat bolts to. That flange has a "tounge" that slides in that rubber mount. This helps hold up the exhaust at the juncture.

Mine did this too, even after the mount was changed!!! My fix was an additional mount hung off one of the tranny bolts. I made it with part of a HD hanger and a pipe muffler clamp. I bolted the hanger w/rubber isolator to the tranny and the clamp to the exhaust. Pushed the exhaust up to where I wanted it and welded to two parts together. Nice and clean, sorry, no chance for any pics for a while... But I think you get the idea.

Good luck,

CW

which trans mount? where is it located?

There is only one transmission mount -- it sits on top of the cross member and holds up the back end of the tranny and transfer case.

But ... it's a different part number for each transmission/transfer case combination, so you can't just grab any XJ/MJ mount and use it. Some are rather "pricey."

I've spent the last two weeks chasing down a new mount - got the same problem. I decided since I'm pulling the cross member I'd also replace it with a new HD cross member made from 3/16" - can't wait

Back to the mount - had some long talks with different shops about these mounts. I have a local shops that one of the mechanics rebuilds MJ for fun - he has been a source of info for the last 3 months. He showed me several things:

1. The after market mounts like Daystar are flat and square - but if you analyze the MJ mounts (mine at least) the mounts are actually slanted - the flat square mounts to don't set the same

2. And yest they are hard to find - but finally found a job here who can order OE replacements - not bad in price $20

Image Not Found