4wd swap

hey. got a question. how hard is it when converting to 4wd to make it awd? I'm very interested in thoughts. thanks.

Well if you use a 231 transfer case, pretty @#$%ing hard.

If you use a 242 transfer case just as hard as switching it from 2wd, through 4wd, into awd(full time), while being carful not to shift too far into neutral or 4low.

Or you could use a 249 transfer case, but I have not heard good things about those.

242 is great on snowy roads. Slip it into Fulltime and away you go. You still have PartTime for the traisl and 4 low for climbing. There isn't a 4:1 kit like the 231 has available, shure would be nice if it did. Then again, maybe I'll look into a boxforrocks 231 kit and slip the 242 behind the 231 crawlbox.

hey. got a question. how hard is it when converting to 4wd to make it awd? I'm very interested in thoughts. thanks.

Are you asking about converting a 2wd to 4wd? Or specifically converting it to AWD?

Converting 2wd to awd is the same as converting 2wd to 4wd, except you have to use a 242 transfer case from a Selec-Trac Cherokee as opposed to a 231 transfer case from a Command-Trac Cherokee or Comanche.

Make sure you grab the Selec-Trac badges as well, as a Selec-Trac Comanche was never actually produced. If you build one, you might as well advertise it.

The 242 will still give you the part time 4 high and 4 low options like the 231, but it also gives you the additional option for full time 4wd, which is commonly called awd nowadays.

A 242 and a CAD should never be together. If the CAD failed and opened up while in AWD mode, you can kiss your 242 goodbye. :(

The 242 has an extra setting and more internal parts than the 231. In Full-time mode, there is a slight differentiation allowed between the front and back tires, allowing for some slip when turning corners and such. But in a tight turn in a parking lot, you can still get a tire to chirp if you're in fulltime. It only allows something like a 48-52 split front to back.

hey pete. I just bout a xj. Just gotta pick it up. But it doesn't have the 242 trans case. I can't seem to find topics to do the 4x4 conversion. I just wanna make sure I do it right. Won't be doing it till spring time. But am gonna sell some stuff from it to put into the conversion. Thanks pete.