running too cold?

so i figured my old thermostat was FUBAR, so i put in a new one. at first it still over heated but then my temp gauge stayed steady a little over 215. i put some more coolant in it then my gauge droped way down to a little over 100 and pretty much stayed there. when i leave it sitting for a while the gauge will read to just under the next line past 100(I'm assuming thats 155 or so). it was so cool that there wasnt any part of the engine that would burn me when i touched it.

i drove the thing around all night and it barley moved from a little over 100. so I'm wondering if i should be worried about this or is it normal for some thermostats to keep a vehicle this cool? :dunno:

If you paid too much $$$ for a "failsafe" thermostat, those are designed to never close again after they have reached 210 degrees. It's a gimmick, a bad design and a waste of money as 210 degrees is well within operating specs for any vehicle I know of, and only 15 degrees above where ours are supposed to open.

But either way, it sounds like it is stuck open.

You may want to buy a thermostat from the Jeep dealer.
Exactly...the one from the dealer comes with a bypass hole / check ball in it that needs to go in the 12:00 position. The aftermarket ones do not have this and while you can do without it...it's not recommended. :smart:

You may want to buy a thermostat from the Jeep dealer.
Exactly...the one from the dealer comes with a bypass hole / check ball in it that needs to go in the 12:00 position. The aftermarket ones do not have this and while you can do without it...it's not recommended. :smart:

great...won't anything i buy from a dealer cost an arm and a leg?

Generally, the dealer part costs more but sometimes ir's worth the difference to have OEM vs. aftermarket (some may argue this). Take a look also at Chrysler Parts Direct (a web-based source) which is often 10%-15% or more less than "list". In the case of T-stats, a functional design difference justifies (to me at least) using OEM. My biggest gripe with going to the dealer is when they tell me "NLA" for a vehicle that is "only" 17 years old. I've also found that the folks at the counter can be pretty helpful, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for some "online" sources.

The Chrysler part# is 83501426AC. That will come with a gasket as well and shoud sell for around $14. I doubt that they are much cheaper in the aftermarket, but I have not checked.

Yelp... Thats what I paid for the one going to the XJ. A lil bit more for tax and all I'll have to look on the receipt when I get me Jeep back from getting a new cat put on ,,, for FREE!!! :banana: