Dana 35 Question...

So I went to replace my wheel bearings on the D35 in my white MJ this weekend and I about went out of my mind when I could not pull the axle shafts out with the puller. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but from my knowledge, all D35's in MJ/XJ's were non-C Clip versions...?

This is what I assumed anyway, so after I could not pull the shaft out, I started wondering... I took a good look and noticed that there was no retaining plate for the wheel bearings on my axle, with a non C-Clip axle this would be there. So I pulled the diff cover to find C-Clips in the version of D35 I have...how did this happen?

Did this axle come stock in my MJ? - It appears to me as it did. However, I could tell that the diff cover was pulled before. Maybe someone else messed with it and converted it to the YJ/TJ version?

I did get the bearings replaced. I took the numbers off of them into the parts store and we got it all taken care of that way.

This is a C-clip. It is used to retain the axleshaft in the housing by anchoring the shaft from the carrier instead of at the outer ends of the axle using the bearing retainer plate.

5c-clip.jpg

Dsc03268.jpg

The reason no one likes them is that, in the Dana 35 the axle shafts are pretty weak, and when they snap in a C-clip axle, this happens:

broken_axle_part_1.jpg