edit steering column questions? wrong year sorry jt

I just got a 1991 cherokee 4x4 runs and drives great only problem Ihave is the tilt column has a little more tilt then needed.So i went to a u pull it and all the columns that matched the 1991 all have the same lame sloppy tilt ( must be a common problem). Was just going to leave when Ifound a 1989 cherokeethat has a tilt and seems solid so I pulled it When I put the 2 side by side they look the same except the keyed switch-the 89 is gm and the 91is chryco.

The chryco has 2 main wire leads as well as a single pig tail that were all connected when I pulled the column from my cherokee-however the gm has the 2 main wire leads but doesnt have the pig tail and that brings me to the question are these compatable ?

If not then the gm column goes into my comanche so its not a total loss

I posted this on the cherokee site as well but i seem to get answers faster here so I thought I would post it here as well.

thanks

Steve

I just got a 1995 cherokee 4x4 runs and drives great only problem Ihave is the tilt column has a little more tilt then needed.So i went to a u pull it and all the columns that matched the 1995 al have the same lame sloppy tilt ( must be a common problem). Was just going to leave when Ifound a 1989 cherokeethat has a tilt and seems solid so I pulled it When I put the 2 side by side they look the same except the keyed switch-the 89 is gm and the 95 is chryco.

The chryco has 2 main wire leads as well as a single pig tail that were all connected when I pulled the column from my cherokee-however the gm has the 2 main wire leads but doesnt have the pig tail and that brings me to the question are these compatable ?

If not then the gm column goes into my comanche so its not a total loss

I posted this on the cherokee site as well but i seem to get answers faster here so I thought I would post it here as well.

thanks

Steve

As far as I can remember, it has been a couple years, the Chryco column will not work without doing a lot of re-wiring. Then It still may not work. 95 was the first year for that column too.

There are a ton of write ups out there on how to repair the GM tilt columns to take to slack out of them. It is pretty easy to repair the loose ones too.

well thanks for the fast response.

actually the chryco column has the sloppy tilt but I understand the tightening the tilt but the turn signal switch was broken inside the column as well by the p.o.

So if I understand you then the only column I can swap with is another 91?

and no Jt this 91 doesnt have the air bag. I will post pic tommarrow or wed when I have a little more time.

thanks for the responses

steve

well thanks for the fast response.

actually the chryco column has the sloppy tilt but I understand the tightening the tilt but the turn signal switch was broken inside the column as well by the p.o.

So if I understand you then the only column I can swap with is another 95?

and no Jt this 95 doesnt have the air bag. I will post pic tommarrow or wed when I have a little more time.

thanks for the responses

steve

Sorry, I was bassakwards when I was typing. Pretty much the only column that will work is a 95. They changed the dash mounts in 96 so that column is totally different.

Tear it apart and see what make it tick, fix it, and do a write up! I would like to see the inner workings again. It has been a while.

It'll fit. I put a 93 (I think) in my 89. Plug in play. Not 100% what year, but it has the double sided Chrysler key. As a matter of fact, It was the 7 cut key. I'm pretty sure they changed the columns in 95 to the newer style with airbags. I know cause I've been searching for a column cover from a 95-96, to put replace my 96 XJ's busted one. In 97 they changed the key a bit, the hazard switch, and the cover to fit it all, so 97 up won't fit,, been there.

BLHTAZ do you remember what year the keys you sent me???