supercharging__ is it worth it?

I saw a DIY setup using a 3.8 Thunderturd (Thunderbird for the slow guys) S/C. It only ran about 5 or 6psi of boost, I guess.

Some google usage might yield more details.

However, it cost more than a stroker in the end, I think... And 6psi on a tired 4oh is asking for trouble. I'm not one of those guys who believes these things are bombproof.

well could rebuild it and bore it out. Blue print or balance the engine Or you could just put a cam in it and get like 75hp from that. Rollor Rockers to free up some hp. 62mm throttle body, electric fan conversion, new head. Stage I or II chips. Many ways to had hp and staying under that price of the supercharger.

What are you looking to gain?

Before doing anything drastic I would:

-give it a tune up (including making sure all the sensors and in good shape)

-eliminate any restrictions (poor mufflers/intakes or clogged cats)

-new fuel injectors (5.0 mustangs)

-Timing chain (to get everything beck into spec)

-gears, gears, gears. If you want a real kick in the pants, gearing will give that to you in spades. :thumbsup: Even street-based MJs can get huge benefits from a bump in gear ratio.

well could rebuild it and bore it out. Blue print or balance the engine Or you could just put a cam in it and get like 75hp from that. Rollor Rockers to free up some hp. 62mm throttle body, electric fan conversion, new head. Stage I or II chips. Many ways to had hp and staying under that price of the supercharger.

How do you expect to see 75HP from a cam? Maybe 7.5. Roller rockers are worth maybe 2 at most, if that... E-fan, like 6HP? A HO head is worth something, but not a lot... Might as well do the late style intake as well. But still... Bored TB should be worth 1 or 2, add a performance header and see another 5 or 6 at that point.

It's not like building a LS1 or a modular Furd.

How do you expect to see 75HP from a cam? Maybe 7.5. Roller rockers are worth maybe 2 at most, if that... E-fan, like 6HP? A HO head is worth something, but not a lot... Might as well do the late style intake as well. But still... Bored TB should be worth 1 or 2, add a performance header and see another 5 or 6 at that point.

It's not like building a LS1 or a modular Furd.

Just giving a rough estimate on the claims of each thing, needless to say my point was you can get alot out of a 4.0 without having to put out a check for 4 grand on a blower.

You can buy all that for a renix? Where?

renix block is the same so bore it out, intake is different so swap it out, always can cam it, new headers, new head, just need to do some research but you can do anything if you want to.

A few links but check out the links thread for a lot of info and products...

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... de=PER_AIR

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ ... /index.asp

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-147-15-j ... k-kit.aspx

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=661