Computer help Blue screen of death

Timmaay

Any computer gurus out there?

I've been trying to fix this computer for hours now and need some help. It's a Dell Dimension E510 Windows Xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 2, Pentium 4? 2.8 ghz.

When I try to turn it on it either says that windows did not start properly and allows you to run it in safe mode. Or it shows a blue screen that sometimes says

Bad_Pool_Header with error codes 0x00000019 (0x00000020, etc

or sometimes it just has the codes 0x0000007e (0x0000005, 0xEE2FFC00, 0xF7A2D290, etc.

The computer seems to work fine in safe mode (which is how I am typing this now). I tried running chkdsk but it didn't help. I also used system restore to restore it to two weeks ago, well before this started. I understand that it is some sort or driver failure causing this but I am at a loss as how to fix it. I have tried searching and tried all of the things that I could find.

I am a beginner user so please don't assume I know anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've been trying to fix this computer for hours now and need some help. It's a Dell Dimension E510 Windows Xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 2, Pentium 4? 2.8 ghz.

When I try to turn it on it either says that windows did not start properly and allows you to run it in safe mode. Or it shows a blue screen that sometimes says

or sometimes it just has the codes 0x0000007e (0x0000005, 0xEE2FFC00, 0xF7A2D290, etc.

The computer seems to work fine in safe mode (which is how I am typing this now). I tried running chkdsk but it didn't help. I also used system restore to restore it to two weeks ago, well before this started. I understand that it is some sort or driver failure causing this but I am at a loss as how to fix it. I have tried searching and tried all of the things that I could find.

You added memory recently or have more than 1 Stick? To test, and you have 2 sticks of RAM, I'd yank one and see what happens... if it happened again, swap the installed one and try to book again... sounds like "could" be bad ram (along with 100 other possibilities, but RAM is easy to swap and check)

You added memory recently or have more than 1 Stick? To test, and you have 2 sticks of RAM, I'd yank one and see what happens... if it happened again, swap the installed one and try to book again... sounds like "could" be bad ram (along with 100 other possibilities, but RAM is easy to swap and check)

I haven't added any recently but I do have two sticks. I will pull one and report back :typing:

If you have the ability to over/underclock it, turn down the CPU bus speed a bit. The CPU might be starting to go bad, or might be running hot from a seizing or seized fan and/or dirty heat sink.

If you have spare parts laying around, just keep swapping parts until you fix it. In my experience the more likely candidates are memory (already checked), CPU, motherboard, video card. But it could be 100 other things too.

If it boots in safemode then it may be a faulty driver or auto run program.

Disconnect all un needed devices, you only need KB, Mouse and monitor, disconnect ALL USB devices (PRINTERS for sure)

Check the event viewer for “disk error”. Right click “my computer”, select “manage” , click event log, then “system”

Run “MSCONFIG” on the “General” tab select “Diagnostic Startup”, click apply and try to reboot to normal mode. If it boots okay, then something in your start up is faulty.

Was a Service pack installed recently?

When you ran CHKDSK did you add the “/r” switch? If not, then re run “chkdsk /r”

Disconnect all un needed devices, you only need KB, Mouse and monitor, disconnect ALL USB devices (PRINTERS for sure)

Check the event viewer for “disk error”. Right click “my computer”, select “manage” , click event log, then “system”

Run “MSCONFIG” on the “General” tab select “Diagnostic Startup”, click apply and try to reboot to normal mode. If it boots okay, then something in your start up is faulty.

When you ran CHKDSK did you add the “/r” switch? If not, then re run “chkdsk /r”

I checked for disk errors and couldn't find any. Mostly DCOM errors.

I tried the diagnostic startup and it didn't fix it either.

I'm pretty sure service pack wasn't installed recently

yes I had already ran the chkdsk with "r" switch.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has tried to help me so far! I'm we'll get it figured out.

I checked for disk errors and couldn't find any. Mostly DCOM errors.

I tried the diagnostic startup and it didn't fix it either.

I'm pretty sure service pack wasn't installed recently

yes I had already ran the chkdsk with "r" switch.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has tried to help me so far! I'm we'll get it figured out.

You got an original Operating System CD? You could do a in-place upgrade...boot to the CD and tell the Setup Program to run the install over the top of itself...

Ever think of just calling Dell, so they could try and help you. I had a similar situation with my laptop a few months ago, called up Dell (thank God he spoke good English :yes: ) and we did all sorts of different diagnostics and he finally concluded that I needed a new hard drive. Thankfully it was under warranty and I got a free repalcement in the mail a few days later, put it in and everything was working fine again :thumbsup: .

Only bad thing is that anything that you had stored on your computer in the past, like downloaded software, and everything saved in Word and anything else will be lost. You can get that info recovered but its like $1000. :eek:

So I decided to pass on that obviously and have had no problems since (knock on wood). Other than that I have no other ideas as to what it could be. :dunno:

Ever think of just calling Dell, so they could try and help you. I had a similar situation with my laptop a few months ago, called up Dell (thank God he spoke good English :yes: ) and we did all sorts of different diagnostics and he finally concluded that I needed a new hard drive. Thankfully it was under warranty and I got a free repalcement in the mail a few days later, put it in and everything was working fine again :thumbsup: .

Only bad thing is that anything that you had stored on your computer in the past, like downloaded software, and everything saved in Word and anything else will be lost. You can get that info recovered but its like $1000. :eek:

So I decided to pass on that obviously and have had no problems since (knock on wood). Other than that I have no other ideas as to what it could be. :dunno:

Save Wade's Job... go buy Seagate Hard Drives to backup up all your stuff!!!

With SP2, try this:

Start->Run (or winkey+R) and type in "services.msc"

Scroll down to "Indexing Service". Is "startup type" set to automatic? Is "status" listed as "started"? If it is, right-click on the service, click "properties", and change it to manual and apply. Then hit the stop button (or just reboot).

Do you use AVG Antivirus?

If so, uninstall it from safemode. And test. If it works, download the newest version of AVG and reinstall.

If you have a “Dell” or original XP CD, then as said above, do a “Dirty Install”, or “Repair”. Boot from CD and choose the second repair option during the install. No user data loss will occur. As long as you have a valid XP Key, the DELL XP CD will work on any brand of computer, so if you can borrow a CD that may help.

The DCOM errors are almost always related to tool bars in internet explorer, usually the “Google Tool Bar”, “Yahoo Tool Bar”, and “AVG Tool Bar”, but I’ve seen it caused by other tool bars too. Uninstall the offending tool bars, and reinstall if you wish. (this is NOT causing you current issue, though...)