Project ???? 1989mj pioneer

Well to start things out i bought this truck with the help of a friend who told me it would be "So EAZY to fix" (makes me wanna punch him now). but me and him went to go buy me a jeep Comanche. got there the truck's transmission is missing and so is part of the exhaust but other wise looked good my Buddie the mechanic that he is said good deal.... so $450 later had it on a trailer to my house.

This is what i got

^is where i bought it from what it looks like

^back at the house on trailer

After taking a closer look around i noticed some slight things my buddie thought of mentioning.

^teraflex spacer and some sorta other spacers on the front(Have no idea) :huh???:

^rear shackles also homemade

^"booty shot"

^inside

So before i sent it to the shop i wanted to do a small project on it thinking it was nothing i was gonna put bucket seats in the rig. off to the local junkyard me and my bud went found some seats came back and started pulling stuff apart.

^bench seat before.

^Tah Dah buckets. :clapping:

Now it was time to send it to the shop to have them install the transmission i got to hopefully work... :wall: :wall: then i got the call "umm this trans mission is a 21 tooth and ur umm transfer case is a 23 tooth it won't work." :wall: he told me its a Peugeot so i hunted the local junkyard again didn't find anything that wasn't 2wd or a 2.5l. so i told him well get whatever it needs to work!!!! so there the Project???? truck sits at the auto shop still looking for that magic transmission & transfer case. ones on its way form Seattle should hopefully be in later this week. oh and when i was at the junk yard last week this guy gave me this bumper.

^its a little small on my buddies but hopefully can make it work.

all input and help is appreciated :help:

Well to start things out i bought this truck with the help of a friend who told me it would be "So EAZY to fix" (makes me wanna punch him now). but me and him went to go buy me a jeep Comanche. got there the truck's transmission is missing and so is part of the exhaust but other wise looked good my Buddie the mechanic that he is said good deal.... so $450 later had it on a trailer to my house.

This is what i got

^is where i bought it from what it looks like

^back at the house on trailer

After taking a closer look around i noticed some slight things my buddie thought of mentioning.

^teraflex spacer and some sorta other spacers on the front(Have no idea) :huh???:

^rear shackles also homemade

^"booty shot"

^inside

So before i sent it to the shop i wanted to do a small project on it thinking it was nothing i was gonna put bucket seats in the rig. off to the local junkyard me and my bud went found some seats came back and started pulling stuff apart.

^bench seat before.

^Tah Dah buckets. :clapping:

Now it was time to send it to the shop to have them install the transmission i got to hopefully work... :wall: :wall: then i got the call "umm this trans mission is a 21 tooth and ur umm transfer case is a 23 tooth it won't work." :wall: he told me its a Peugeot so i hunted the local junkyard again didn't find anything that wasn't 2wd or a 2.5l. so i told him well get whatever it needs to work!!!! so there the Project???? truck sits at the auto shop still looking for that magic transmission & transfer case. ones on its way form Seattle should hopefully be in later this week. oh and when i was at the junk yard last week this guy gave me this bumper.

^its a little small on my buddies but hopefully can make it work.

all input and help is appreciated :help:

Thanks Rich :cheers:

yeah ur telling me about the shackles and i belive they are welded to the stock shackle i wanna :fool: the guy that did it. lol but i have a lot of dreams and what not for this truck today a buddie of mine came over and said "DOOD check this out." showed me a roll bar on craigslist and it was for 200. lucky for me the way the economy is i said 75 he said sold. so we whent to pick it up the guy dint even have it off his truck. about 15 min later after doing all the work for the guy :fs1: got it in the back of my truck back to my house. don't have any pics right now but will hopefully get one up tomorrow.

another thing i was wondering is that if this guy can't get a good 5-speed transmission what are my options on transmissions i can use and out of what so i know what to hunt for next time i go out.

Thanks for all the :help: (help) and info

it was worth it for the john deere mud flaps! :clapping:

U KNOW IT lolso i whent to the Junk yard damn its cold out there(pacific north west Spokane WA area any other wheelers from around me?) okay back to junk yard got a used air box and bought a new k&n filter showed up to the shop to drop it off then i got some Good news. but the shop said today they got the transmission he thinks its a Peugeot transmission(can anyone tell me whats the difference between the ax-15 i believe it is and the Peugeot plz) so hopefully they will get it in the shop on fri. then ill see what else i gota go get for it probably a battery then hopefully get it running and get this project started! :clapping: :clapping: :yes:

Yeah, the AX15 is a good transmission; the Peugot (called Puke-Goat by some) is a piece of crap not worth the metal it's made out of.

:roll:

I would replace it with an AX15, except I think you need to do something about the pilot bearing. Someone who's done it please chime in.

car-part.com might be of help in hunting down an AX-15. Search under a 91 XJ and then a 91 YJ, then a 96 TJ (might show different results than the YJ).

(and a tip, don't ever tell a shop to "do whatever it takes". lots of scary stuff happens.)

AX-15 on the left. Notice the line of bolts running along the top (and bottom) of the Peugeot.

Thank u Pete M for the helpfull inside to the diff in looks on the ax-15 and the Peugot. and is the ax-15 vacuum or is it electrical? bec i was looking at my transmission and its a vacuum line will the 91 XJ ,91 YJ ,96 TJ will they all be vacuum or electrical. and another question i would like to put a Dana 44 in the rear out of another jeep what jeep should i be looking at to not have it to small so it will rub on the bed. I would like to make this truck a daily driver/trail rig so any helpful hints or tips from u more experienced wheelers would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone

Sure that wasn't the vent tube you saw? Up at the top? There's no vacuum or electrical on the trans. Well, the backup light is electrical, but it's that way on all of the transmissions.

The only Dana 44 that will match the front axle (and be worth swapping) will be one from an MJ/XJ. Or you can swap in an Explorer rear axle. Rubbing is only a problem on them when running stock rims and wide tires.

once again thanks Pete

I kinda feel dumb :dunce: now looking at what i typed. i was thinking the transfer case bec mine is vacuum. so is it rare to catch a MJ/XJ with an d44 in the front, and is the explorer one of the more often done axle swap. bec i was looking at my buddies 4x4 mag and they said d35 is a pos. for the rear something about shrapnel. :dunno:

i would like to start looking for a lift kit possibly 4.5 i know there is a lot of choices out there just wondering on some of ur guy's opinions on the issue.

Thanks again everyone for ur help and input

The D44 will be a rear axle in the XJ/MJ...not a front ;)

The 8.8 rear axle from an Explorer is a very common swap for Jeeps and is a nice upgrade because it has the same wheel bolt pattern and disk brakes.

For lift kits... Motion Offroad and Hell Creek Suspensions are both actually members here and offer some nice kits for our trucks.

car-part.com might be of help in hunting down an AX-15. Search under a 91 XJ and then a 91 YJ, then a 96 TJ (might show different results than the YJ).

Search for a '97 TJ. There was no '96 Wrangler.

YJ - '87 to '95

TJ - '97 to '06

so is it rare to catch a MJ/XJ with an d44 in the front

In the US, XJs/MJs were never offered with a front D44 from the factory.

Willy

Thanks BLHTAZ for that info :thumbsup:

so dana44 back of XJ/MJ is it rare to find one with a dana44 in the back of one. and what year explorer should i be trying to get the rear axle out of and is there a lot of aftermarket parts for it. as for the front axle what should i be looking for a posi-Lok?

looking at lifts Hell Creek Suspensions 86-92 Comanche 4-1/2 inch F&R Spring Kit $750.00 and Motion Offroad MJ Comanche Synergy 4.5" Suspension Lift $1,100.00.. does Motion Offroad lift come with more goodies. i wanna buy a lift that is gonna last me and will work good on and off the road. and because of my lift that is currently on my truck i will have to be looking into one soon.