Changing seat belts

Pull the seat out (there are 4 bolts and they all take a 13 mm socket)

Undo the female end of the seatbelt from the floor (takes a very large torx bit)

If you've got a bench, then you'll need to feed the belt down through the seat.

Taking the seat out is easy. Like Pete said...it take a 13mm wrench and or socket and about 5 minutes ;) .

If you are not concerned with safety and the seatbelts abaility to hold, then rig it up if you wish...but not a smart thing to do IMO :shake: :cheers:

Probably won't hurt to pull that seat anyway. No telling the amount of dirt under it.

Yep...I was surprised to find piles of little sqaure pieces of broken glass under mine. The truck had evidentally been wrecked and shattered some windows at some point, but no one cleaned the glass out of it.

I don't think mine has ever been wrecked but I know it's had its glass broken three times and it's had the driver's lock popped twice. Right now, the damage was such that I couldn't repair it on my own like I did the first time. They actually broke the lock and I just haven't replaced it yet. It's going to require a little body work and I'm not prepared to do that. I just don't want to spend the money.

Anyway, I still find glass every once in a while so I'm sure there's some under there.

:hmm: I found it easier to remove the two torx bolts holding the back of the seat to the lower section of the bench, remove the back section, and then remove the 2, one each side of the tranny tunnel, seat belt female ends, and then pull the seat, with the ends in the lower section of the bench :dunno:

A lot better than trying to feed the female ends thru the seat.

For what your doing, it's easier to feed the bolt end of the female section thru the bench seat, and if you just remove the rear seat section, it will give you plenty of room to work on them bolts.

Oh......and you'll need a #55 torx socket for the belt bolts......and have several on hand too if your in the rust belt......or even near it :roll:

Yea.......I couldn't remember if it was #50 or #55.......so I took the high road :D

And as far as running out and getting one......you can get a set of like 8 sizes for under $15, and you will need then for other bolts on the truck.

It might be that they take a t55. I don't have one to compare. I only have the t50. :( But it is apparently close enough that it has worked so far.

A rust penetrant spray is recommended for those bolts. :thumbsup:

Now this is driving me :nuts:

I'll check the bolts in the shop tomorrow to find out which Torx fits. At least for a '88.

And yea........BP Blaster on the bolts........but from underneath, in the tranny tunnel, as the bolts thread thru the brace and are exposed in the tunnel.

WD-40 works best and only for drying out a distributor cap, inside, and that's all it's good for :roll:

Mission Change Seatbelt has been accomplished. Mine took the #50 torx. The #55 was too big. It wasn't all that hard and I didn't have to take the seat out. I pulled the seat all the way forward and leaned the back up then crawled in from the passenger side. One squirt of wd40 was all it took. wd40 was all I had so I used it. The old came out easily. The new slid in easily and bolting back down was a cinch.

All is well. Next are the shocks. That'll probably have to wait until next weekend.