Valve Cover Vacuum Orifice Gaskets

I have a question regarding the PCV vacuum "stacks" inside the valve cover. I'm changing out my valve cover, and when I removed these stacks to clean the vacuum metering valve, I noticed one cover (my new cover) had thin gaskets on each side of the reed plate, and the old one had no gaskets. Are these gaskets necessary? I can't even find them in my parts manual.

I had run intothem as well when I cleaned my valve cover, and they crumbled immediately upon trying to get them off.

I re-installed my cover without them, and immediately started to have more oil fouling the lines. I pulled it back off and used black gasket silcone (Permatex Ultra Black, part # PX82180) on both sealing surfaces of the plates and the oil seepage stopped.

In other words, I'd vote for yes :yes: :cheers:

Thanks guys. I reused my old ones (there were four of them, one for each side of the reed plate) w. a thin coating of Pernatex copper RTV on each. Here's a pic of the new valve cover installed. I did the prep work, and a buddy powder coated it the same color as my exterior paint, with polished natural ribs. I have to clean it up some more though........ :D

That gray tank looking thing? It's the evaporative cannister. It's filled w. carbon granules that supposedly absorbs fuel vapors and recirculates them back into the intake system and is p/o the emissions system.

Must be a H.O. thing.. Mine dosnt look like that..