Talk me out of this...

I just picked up a pretty nice 97 XJ Country with up country suspension and full skids for a really good price. The XJ is a 4.0, AW4, 231, with a HP30. It runs like a top and only has 117K on it. The fenders are trimmed and it has a BB on it.

I need a good reason why not to swap the drivetrain (engine, trans, transfer, and HP30), front doors, front clip, and the wiring over to my 89 MJ.

I am having issues in my mind trying to make the 97 wiring work with a 92-96 dash and switches. As I know a RENIX dash just won't work.

How much of a headache am I looking at trying to make this work? Am I better off using a HO (92-96) dash cluster and wiring? Or should I just bite the bullet and install the complete 97 wiring, dash, and make the power doors work?

Learn me on the different types of X/MJ wiring systems and year breaks, please!

if you go with any of the 97+ stuff, you have to swap ALL of it. there's no mix and match between 92 to 96 wiring and 97+ wiring...all goes with the same year and parts.

so, dash, heater box, engine, trans, transfercase, wiring, computers, sensors.

all needs to go in your MJ. and, it won't be as bad as you think since you have both vehicles there.

Don't do it. IMHO the best way to go would be to sell the XJ and find one that has been in a rear end collision for cheap, that way you aren't destroying a perfectly good XJ, you'll get the parts needed, and you will probably come out ahead by getting a vehicle where all the parts u don't need are destroyed.

I did it with a crappy beat up '98 XJ and my previous '89 MJ. There was some fabrication, but it wasn't too bad. When I was done the XJ was just an empty shell with no front doors, hood, fenders, or fascia. The dash and interior were the worts parts of the swap. The dash attaches differently. I swapped over the center console, kickpanels, doors...everything. Lots of cutting and drilling to get everything to fit just right. Same under the hood, you'll have to drill some holes to mount all of the crap you'll be swapping in. Bottom line is if you don't care about the XJ and you think your MJ will be worth what you spent on the XJ when it's done...GO FOR IT!

This is the XJ in question. I got it for cheap ($1200) so I will not be out too much money after I sell off the un-used parts from it, the MJ, and scrap the body. I may have a bunch of parts for sale off the MJ soon.

I think I am going to go through with the swap. It will have to wait until the spring though. I may need a 2nd 4X4 for the winter this year. I have a feeling it is going to be a really bad winter here in Georgia. I promise that if I go through with it I will document the whole process and post it in the "Project Onyx" build thread.