Power windows

Just thinking of what it would take to install power windows from a XJ into a MJ. Did MJ`s ever come with power windws? I was hoping that maybe the wiring is already there tucked away somewhere.

I was only considering this because I want to get some different doors for my MJ(mine has the big mirrors with holes in the middle of the door).

Has anyone swapped in power windows in a MJ? also considered 97+ doors to loose the vent window but I haven`t found any at the local pick&pull yet

i've done it, its not too hard a project and there are a couple ways to do it. There are kits out there with new regulators. More expensive, but the new regulators will last much longer than anything you'll find at the junkyard.

If you go the jy route, its mostly a matter of pulling wires and parts (i didn't have any pre-existing wiring). I found a '92 XJ and pulled the passenger door wiring and switches, cross body harness and power lock motors from it. I pulled the driver side wiring and switches from a 2 door XJ because it has 4 switches instead of 6 (no real need for rear window switches). The power window regulators i took from a '96 XJ, figured the newer the better and they were bolted to the door instead of riveted. The worst part of the whole project was drilling out the rivets on my manual regulators to get them out. I also reused those bolts when i installed the power regulator onto my doors. Then its just laying in the wiring the way you see it at the jy, and running a couple of wires to the fuse box. Wiring diagrams are also very helpful to have around just in case.

i've done it, its not too hard a project and there are a couple ways to do it. There are kits out there with new regulators. More expensive, but the new regulators will last much longer than anything you'll find at the junkyard.

If you go the jy route, its mostly a matter of pulling wires and parts (i didn't have any pre-existing wiring). I found a '92 XJ and pulled the passenger door wiring and switches, cross body harness and power lock motors from it. I pulled the driver side wiring and switches from a 2 door XJ because it has 4 switches instead of 6 (no real need for rear window switches). The power window regulators i took from a '96 XJ, figured the newer the better and they were bolted to the door instead of riveted. The worst part of the whole project was drilling out the rivets on my manual regulators to get them out. I also reused those bolts when i installed the power regulator onto my doors. Then its just laying in the wiring the way you see it at the jy, and running a couple of wires to the fuse box. Wiring diagrams are also very helpful to have around just in case.

You make it sound so easy....... :shake: I'm going 97+ , I have the doors already, just the whole wiring is really intimidating just because I can't fix the electrical gremlins I have now........ :D

You make it sound so easy......

a couple of people around here have done it, and their posts helped a lot. Even then i still made a bunch of mistakes along the way...i thought i bought door wiring from a '96XJ from a member on here that isn't around anymore. Turns out everything was from an '89XJ (totally different connectors) and one of the regulators wasn't good. Lessons learned: get an FSM before tacking big projects and use as much wiring from the same year as your MJ as you can. I also carried a small project battery to the jy so i could test the window regulators before i pulled them. Also helped to be able to move up and down while pulling the wiring and regulators. And i've been lucky so far, the only electrical gremlin to pop up was a bad alarm the PO installed, it would go off randomly and drain the battery.

You make it sound so easy......

a couple of people around here have done it, and their posts helped a lot. Even then i still made a bunch of mistakes along the way...i thought i bought door wiring from a '96XJ from a member on here that isn't around anymore. Turns out everything was from an '89XJ (totally different connectors) and one of the regulators wasn't good. Lessons learned: get an FSM before tacking big projects and use as much wiring from the same year as your MJ as you can. I also carried a small project battery to the jy so i could test the window regulators before i pulled them. Also helped to be able to move up and down while pulling the wiring and regulators. And i've been lucky so far, the only electrical gremlin to pop up was a bad alarm the PO installed, it would go off randomly and drain the battery.

Do you still have the 89 wiring harness? I am in need of a pre 91 harness (I think thats when the connectors changed) I have a post 91 harness I would be willing to trade. Just for clarification I need the harness that goes from door to door.

watchamakalit, i'm going to pm you right after i finish this post so we don't hijack this thread.

Good point tho about the wiring and connectors changing around '90 or (more likely) '91. The cross body harness changed again i think in '94; the lock/unlock relays were moved off the harness and into the engine bay somewhere.

does anyone have a wiring diagram(1987) they can send my way? there are quite a few 87-88ish XJ at the pick&pull so getting the wiring shouldn`t be a problem to get. Also there are two 2 door XJ`s there (getting buckets from one of them jamminz.gif ) and I think one has power windows but its a 93 so will these switches work or do I want the 90down switches?