powder coating/ceramic coat borla? any ideas?

hey all.

I just picked up a complete 1995 xj drivetrain with a mopar reman 4.0 that's bored .030 from what I can find. it's everything I need to convert my 87 MJ to HO.

anyways, I tore the motor down to the longblock and left the pan on, because it only has 3k miles on it...and I'm painting it.

here's how it looks right now

that borla header looks lonely. it's just a little bit scuffed/dirty/rusty-ish and I'd like to know of something permanent to fix the problem. I was thinking of powder coating or a ceramic coat or something.

any ideas?

Powder coat would not take the heat. Ceramic would, but is likely quite expensive to have done.

great. it still needs to be done, if I'm gonna do this project properly...exhaust paint doesn't stay on and ends up looking like crap.

hmm. maybe I could get a discount for having the ones on the 3800 done at the same time...

How hot does the header get?

Was just wondering because I had a conversation the other day with a guy about the same thing. He's planning on getting his Stangs headers powder coated. I know my bumpers were powder coated which baked them at 400-500 degrees. Does the header get hotter than that? :dunno:

:cheers:

Yeah...exhaust gasses in a normally aspirated engine can reach 900 degrees and turbos can get to 1400 :eek: .

If you can find someone doing the 1000 degree stuff you should be OK. I have never heard that before anad it leaves me to wonder how expensive it is because if it will withstand 1000 degree temps...what does it take to put it on :idea: :???:

cost for a pound 36.00 applied with a powder coat gun. but as with everything be prepared to not get a warranty because the header is used due the expanding /contracting of the metal the is a really good chance that the coating, whether powder coat or ceramic, will not stay on.