Turn Signal Light

I'm currently in the process of swapping out the idiot lights for the full gauge cluster and theres a problem with the donor cluster's turn signal light. When I started the door vechile up to see if all the gauges worked, I turned on the light to see if the background lights worked.

They all worked, but the left turn signal light stayed on bright green when the turn signal wasnt even on.

So do you think it's a bad bulb and i can just switch the one out of my MJ to the new cluster? Or is it something electrical that its always staying on?

Thanks a bunch. :cheers:

Someone else encountered the same problem when doing a cluster swap, if I recall correctly. Wasn't me. Try searching -- or maybe whoever it was will see this thread and jump in.

It's not a bad bulb. Bad bulbs don't light up.

I had the same problem when I swapped clusters...I thought it was a bad cluster and got another one. Unfortunately, the new cluster does the same thing. I have just completed a complete "go thru" of all the interior wiring and corrected all problems...so I have no idea what the cause could be. :dunno:

The only common characteristic is that it only happens when the headlights are on. Otherwise, it performs as it is supposed to.

If you figure it out please let us know.

Sure does sound like a bad ground somewhere in the front lights wiring. Most likely the left parking light doesn't have ground and is grounding through the turn signal filament (which is in the same bulb).

The fact that it happened during the cluster swap might just be coincidence.

Well I didnt put in my new cluster yet, hopefully tomorrow i'll get it in. The thing is the donor vehicle actually started up and everything worked fine except the signal. But do you think it could be the wiring that plugs into the back of the cluster? If it is all those wires back there, then it should work fine in the MJ since the turn signal in there is working properly. Only a theory as to what the problem could be :???: but I'm hoping for the best. :D

And a little side note, can i use the sending units off the donor or should i just go out and buy new ones?

Well I didnt put in my new cluster yet, hopefully tomorrow i'll get it in. The thing is the donor vehicle actually started up and everything worked fine except the signal. But do you think it could be the wiring that plugs into the back of the cluster? If it is all those wires back there, then it should work fine in the MJ since the turn signal in there is working properly. Only a theory as to what the problem could be :???: but I'm hoping for the best. :D

And a little side note, can i use the sending units off the donor or should i just go out and buy new ones?

well if they work then why replace them? right?

I'm going through a same thing, but different scenario. When I turn my lights on everything works as for park lamps, lights, tails, ect, but the thing I'm dealing with is all my dash lights don't, and my clock (quartz)goes out.. I can't figure it out either.. I got the clock to start working with the lights and I have no clue exactly what I did to fix it.. I hate electrical gremlins...

I'm going through a same thing, but different scenario. When I turn my lights on everything works as for park lamps, lights, tails, ect, but the thing I'm dealing with is all my dash lights don't, and my clock (quartz)goes out.. I can't figure it out either.. I got the clock to start working with the lights and I have no clue exactly what I did to fix it.. I hate electrical gremlins...

after market stereo? sometimes a wire can come loose and cause lights to not work. happened to me once. then i used halfa roll of tape to ensure it would not happen again.

How about the dimmer for your dash lights? Mine only works for on, and anything even a bit less is off. No in between. One night my clock and dash lights didn't work, and after 10 minutes of fiddling I realized i had accidentally turned the headlight switch maybe 1/8 of an inch.

If mine works that badly, it might simply be that yours is broke.

If you disconnect it, you are effectively in daytime "lights off" mode, which will nit illuminate your dash, but will turn on the back light for the clock.

How about the dimmer for your dash lights? Mine only works for on, and anything even a bit less is off. No in between. One night my clock and dash lights didn't work, and after 10 minutes of fiddling I realized i had accidentally turned the headlight switch maybe 1/8 of an inch.

If mine works that badly, it might simply be that yours is broke.

If you disconnect it, you are effectively in daytime "lights off" mode, which will nit illuminate your dash, but will turn on the back light for the clock.

Swapped in another switch and still nothing. I also cleaned the contacts on the switch rheostat. This isnt the first time this has happened.. I thought I had it fixed the first time now its doing it again. :hate banana: