Leaking brake/clutch fluid in the cab.

Just picked up my Comanche from a Craigslist ad. $500 and it's in ok shape.

I needed a truck to get me around town and be able to use as a truck. Wife has a 02 mustang to drive.. and I am getting rid of my 06 xB. To much cost and couldn't haul things like I wanted to.

Anyway. Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking. I may be off on terms here.. may be WAY off. I am a computer guy not a car/truck guy.

The linkage that goes into the firewall. that has the black boot around it.. keeps popping off. if I let my foot slide off the clutch... it pops back and the linkage comes out of the firewall. I stop put it back.. scoot the boot back up and good to go.

Currently rigged it with a spring/zip tie deal to keep the "Over extension" or Pop from pulling it out. but I think I am going to just have to replace the Clutch Master cylyinder.

Any tips? Idea's??

Also.. picked up full Tail Light Assy's and Passenger door mirror today at the JY for $35.. I will have to get some pics.. Someone pulled the tail lights and places generic round ones in place. screwed them into the body.. UGLY.. but they work..

Previously.. I had the xB.. and 3 Dakota's.. 89 99 and 2000.

thanks in advance.

and, since your master is leaking into the cab, you will want to clean the fuse box very thoroughly...the clutch fluid leaks directly onto the fuse box, and that is going to or already has caused corrosion. if you have any electrical issues, that is likely the source or part of the problem.

:agree: the actual changing is very easy and does not require much knowledge about anything. you shouldnt have any problem doing it. just a tip for bleeding. BLEED BLEED BLEED and then bleed it just a little more. id use DOT 3 fluid. has anyone ever used dot 5?

:agree: the actual changing is very easy and does not require much knowledge about anything. you shouldnt have any problem doing it. just a tip for bleeding. BLEED BLEED BLEED and then bleed it just a little more. id use DOT 3 fluid. has anyone ever used dot 5?

If by DOT 5 you mean silicone -- that's what I've been running in brakes and clutch for years. IMHO it makes even more sense for the clutch, because in the event of a leak the silicone won't trash the fuse panel. (It'll be slippery and wet and messy, but it won't be trashed.)

thanks.

been looking around online.. I think I will have to order one.. and then hit the JY for a spare fuse block.

If you are referring to a clutch master cylinder -- do NOT buy it off the Internet. Aftermarket clutch hydraulics typically last about 6 months, maximum. Don't know why, but it seems that only genuine Jeep parts work for this application. It'll cost you a few $$$ more, but get the real deal.

If by DOT 5 you mean silicone -- that's what I've been running in brakes and clutch for years. IMHO it makes even more sense for the clutch, because in the event of a leak the silicone won't trash the fuse panel. (It'll be slippery and wet and messy, but it won't be trashed.)

always what i've thought, but always good to hear a second opinion

thanks.

been looking around online.. I think I will have to order one.. and then hit the JY for a spare fuse block.

If you are referring to a clutch master cylinder -- do NOT buy it off the Internet. Aftermarket clutch hydraulics typically last about 6 months, maximum. Don't know why, but it seems that only genuine Jeep parts work for this application. It'll cost you a few $$$ more, but get the real deal.

OK..

So point me to a good source to find this?

I am in Phoenix Az.. so anything within 30 miles or so of 85051?

Or even an online source for Genuine Jeep Part?

Like I may have posted.. I am a computer/web guy. I work for web hosting.. I can understand mechanical but I ask questions before I try things when I am unsure.

Looks like when I look for OEM I find it's by "PBR" ??

Final on this.

3 hours.

Got the Grill back on right. that was easy

Got the Mirror on it. Kinda nice to have one on that side. I know I will use it in the Phoenix Traffic.

The root of it all... the Clutch Master Cylinder. Only issue I ran into was the Cotter Pin. Damn thing was in there and didn't want to come out. Ended up breaking in the process of pulling it. Got a piece of Copper wire in it's place for now. (Dad works Construction and had it in his truck was a quick fix)

Failure on original unit was due to the Clip being popped out. I think it's called a Snap ring. It came up and allowed the Washer that it holds to come undone.. This allowed the plunger to break free and crap to get in where the seal was.

I kept the old one. Plan on getting a Kit and rebuilding it. The Reservoir is still good as well. Spare on on hand can never hurt.