Need your honest opinion...

xj_dummy

$1200 is a pretty decent deal if it is in good shape.

The Grand Cherokees are know for A LOT of electrical problems that can be VERY expensive to fix. If it has all of the goodies...P/W,P/S, PDL, Automatic Temperature Control etc, etc... check them all out real good. The automatic temperature control alone can cost nearly $2000 if it fails...I had a 1994 with that in it... and it failed :headpop: ;)

The automatic temperature control alone can cost nearly $2000 if it fails...I had a 1994 with that in it... and it failed :headpop: ;)

If it goes belly up, the temp control, does the a/c still work or are you SOL?

Do you still have your 94?

It depends on what goes wrong. Mine still worked...just no display to see what you were setting it on because it is digital.

I only had it for about 6 months and I sold it to someone that was going to chop it up for a trail rig because of all the troubles with it. All the windows quit working, the evaporator developed a leak ($1200), the OE security system started screwing up and wouldn't let me in the Jeep at times... :roll: It had a 5.2L V-8 that only had about 30K on it so it was a great base for what he wanted and I got $2200 out of it :D .

Looks great!! We have a 95 that looks almost as good if not for the big rust hole that is now in the back hatch. The wife loves it but we are trying to figure out replace the door or if it's time to replace the Jeep :roll: 175,000 and the only problem we have had is the trans had to be replaced and a tie rod end. Have to say it's about the best vehicle we have owned next to my Ranger.

At that price I would go for it :cheers:

My 97 has a bad heater core(remove the dash dealie), check that. Looks like a Limited, probably a 249 transfer case, check the viscous coupling by turning figure 8's in the parking lot. Check for binding, noises, etc.

In everyones opinion is a grand better than a cherokee? i hear the v8s in those suck and its more worth getting the 4.0, but then i hear they are awsome with the v8. a guy at work has a grand with the 4.0 and its really nice

As much as I love the 4.0...it is extremely sluggish in that vehicle. The grand is just too heavy for it to move out of it's own way. And the gas mileage suffers for that exact reason...the V8's get about the same mileage and put out a lot more performance.

In everyones opinion is a grand better than a cherokee? i hear the v8s in those suck and its more worth getting the 4.0, but then i hear they are awsome with the v8. a guy at work has a grand with the 4.0 and its really nice

As much as I love the 4.0...it is extremely sluggish in that vehicle. The grand is just too heavy for it to move out of it's own way. And the gas mileage suffers for that exact reason...the V8's get about the same mileage and put out a lot more performance.

is the v8 as reliable? seems like no matter who i ask everyone says the 4.0 is one of the best engines ever built

is the v8 as reliable? seems like no matter who i ask everyone says the 4.0 is one of the best engines ever built

I highly doubt it...but I can't comment because I've never owned a Grand Cherokee. So therefore I've never driven it' vast array of V8's offered.

4.7L...4.7L HO....5.2L....5.9L.

Those 4.7HO's and 5.9L's are pretty potent though

Not to be a fifth wheel, but I've really never been a fan of the Grands. Why not find another XJ for a DD. The same year or better could be had for that price. Plus parts are a whole lot easier to come by. Lookng at your sig you own one so you already know the ins and outs on them. Just my 2 cents.

:cheers:

Not to be a fifth wheel, but I've really never been a fan of the Grands. Why not find another XJ for a DD. The same year or better could be had for that price. Plus parts are a whole lot easier to come by. Lookng at your sig you own one so you already know the ins and outs on them. Just my 2 cents.

Probably for the GC's much more luxurious ride and interior

Probably for the GC's much more luxurious ride and interior

eh it would be nice, but i like a vehicle that i don't care about getting a few stains in or accientally tearing the seat or something of that sort. all i want is heat,a/c,power windows and locks,4x4 and i'm good. i was just wondering if people would prefer the grand over the xj