Possible bad axle shaft??

:mad: Well last couple times I went out wheeling I was getting a popping sound when in 4wd, kinda off and on, I was thinking it was the shift linkage binding and not keeping the t-case engaged fully, so today I took the kids out for a little trip to see the colors, and It started up when I was trying to get back up a sand hill. So I got out and pulled the linkage and engaged it by hand to ensure it was in, So took off in 4 low and all good untill I started to climb and then she started to pop and pop faster when you give her gas. So it only really pops when any load is on the tires as far as in 4wd. No in 2wd down the road there is a vibe which is from the front driveshaft being the u joint is in need of replacement but other than that drives fine at 80mph.

So I was thinking it could be a bad shaft, splines or something? Could it be my U-joints on the shaft? Look to seem fine grabbed and jiggled and feel tight, but :???: Hope not, but maybe the case?

D30 with 4.10 open diff running stock shafts.

In my 90MJ (w/the 231 tcase), Ive got Ujoint front rear, everywhere. But in my 97XJ (with the 242 tcase), Ive got cv front and rear. I am not sure if that change happened in the renix/powertech switch, in the 97+ models, or if it is b/c of the 242 tcase. But there is a possibility that it is ujoint front and rear.

the cross tyoe is known as a Cardan style. I'm about 99% its not a CV joint.

mini, are you fortunate enough to have a double cardan style joint on the front ds where it bolts to the t-case? check to see that they are both good and lubed up. the next option is to disconnect the front driveshaft and unbolt the rear ds from the axle and hang it by a bunjee cord and check for the ticking. if its in the t-case and its only happening under a load it sounds to me like you have yourself one stretched chain.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for the search button.

Well was a stretched chain in the tcase. Pulled the drain plug and seen the chain hitting the case. So took it in to have it rebuilt. Took it to Keith Bailey at Off Road Connection, http://offrdconnection.com/photos.htm and they good good care of me. Had it back the same day. Cost was about $350 including the synthetic fluid that I run in it now.

Well was a stretched chain in the tcase. Pulled the drain plug and seen the chain hitting the case. So took it in to have it rebuilt. Took it to Keith Bailey at Off Road Connection, http://offrdconnection.com/photos.htm and they good good care of me. Had it back the same day. Cost was about $350 including the synthetic fluid that I run in it now.

Keith is a great guy!! :thumbsup: I broke two u-bolts on the front axle of our YJ while playing at Gray Rock a a few years back and he replaced them for me for free...but, I gave him a little "beer money" anyway ;)

Keith is a great guy!! :thumbsup: I broke two u-bolts on the front axle of our YJ while playing at Gray Rock a a few years back and he replaced them for me for free...but, I gave him a little "beer money" anyway ;)