Say it's not sooo!

CEThomas

Just seen this. I wonder if it could be true???

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 0220081017

""Renault on Friday denied it was in talks to buy Jeep from Chrysler. People familiar with the talks said private equity firm Cerberus was in discussions to sell all or part of Chrysler LLC's operations to the French firm and General Motors Corp as it considers a range of deals that could break up the No. 3 U.S. automaker."""

I haven't been keeping up on the GM/CHRYS deal

too much,I guess since I work for Mopar I should.

I heard rumor yesterday that if GM purchases Chrys,

they'll stop building everything that gets part of their

market share,ie,pickups,and keep building vehicles

that don't,ie,minivan.

Keep in mind,rumors in this business fly all the time,

and usually aren't very reliable.It will be interesting

to see what happens,though.

BLHTAZ and I could be Chevy parts guys here shortly.Doh.

But I did work for a Chev dealer for 14 yrs before coming

to Mopar,mch much better parts system.

How the hell would GM "buy" any part of anything when they can't support themselves. I have not really heard anything much about it other than people talking around here about the "GM / Chrysler Merge".

I just look at it as another BS rumor :cheers:

Read the story at the reuters link I posted. Then remember they are talking merger and then look at how much stock Cerberus has in GMAC. The sale of Jeep would give Chrysler a lot of cash to talk merger with GM and Cerberus would be in a win - win :roll:

Be interesting to see what the next few months bring 8)

Very basically

Cerberus owns 80% of Chrys and 49% of GMAC.

Trying to give GM the 80% of Chrys in return for

51% of GMAC..

Very,very basically.

I'm really not keeping up with the situation,

there's just too much going on with the economy

right now to get a handle,I'm a dummy,and have my

own stuff to deal with.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a win for GM due to the huge cash reserves that Chrysler has, and a win for Cerbus stockholders, as they would be able to (seemingly) reduce operating costs for both entities.

GM has already gone on record they would not keep any Chrysler product line except for the van series, and in CEThomas' article they speak at length about closing dealerships and manufacturing plants.

It would almost be like what GM did to Oldsmobile about ten years ago - cut them off at the knees. Of course, Chrysler/Dodge did that to AMC's Comanche a while back as well :roll:

The talk is that they would kill off everything except the 3 plants that have recently had a lot of money spent on them...the Truck plant in Saltillo Mexico and the Jeep & Minivan plants in the US.

IF this does happen, it will be a huge legal battle that will likely kill it anyway. It will face reviews that will take up to a year by the Federal Trade Commission and/or the Justice Department. They will also face regulatory issues, lawsuits, congressional hearings and United Auto Workers union protests. It will get REAL expensive...

I would be surprised if they could survive this part of the deal financially. What they are doing now means very little compared to the $#!& storm they will face if they actually attempt to do it.

Being another Chrysler employee I listened in on a teleconference that said very little. There would definitly be some hurdles to overcome. Like anti trust laws etc. And the instant unemployment of 100,000 or so people. I could very well be unemployed because of this. GM doesn't believe in live technical training.