Surges in throttle problems. Im lost any help?

I have an 88' MJ with a 4 banger with an automatic that as I'm driving along it has sudden loss in my throttle. Almost like the fuel pump shuts off or it looses ignition. It just stops all throttle response and looses power. then just as suddenly as it happend it goes away. Now ive gone threw both the fuel system and the ignition and i don't see anything wrong with it. Now I'm a highschool kid in the schools automitive class. (not a good speller) and i have allot of help from my dad who was a mechanic for 20+ years and can basicly hel me with everything. So it is completly possible i missed something. if you have had this or have any ideas that would be great if you could help. here's a pic of my MJ on my friends cj. i like it. n1326600091_30023799_9661.jpg

(not a good speller)

So it is completly possible i missed something. if you have had this or have any ideas that would be great if you could help. n1326600091_30023799_9661.jpg

Yea, I had the same problem.........so I got spell check loaded up :D

Oh.......about your 'shut' off problem.......I'll second the CPS.

If you went thru and checked everything, like the fuel pressure / pump, and checked the ignition system.......it would make sense to check / replace the CPS.

Here's a link to the sensor's, the CPS is near the bottom of the page, and there is a 'quick' check on it.

throttle position sensor?

that one is easy enough to check... but if its an intermittent problem you'll only see a bad reading when its checkin out.

but you should be able to hook up a voltmeter and read .8-5.0v idle-WOT respectively and it should be a smooooth curve the whole way not jumpy or jerky