benifits vs. woes of welding rear diff

I haven't heard anything bad about it but I wanted to make sure b4 I do it.

I've been looking into it b/c I don't want to spend money on a d35 but I would really like a locked rear b4 I have the money to update to a d44.

What all is involved, is there any benifits or problems to worry about b4 doing this?

Thanks

if its on an off road only truck, do it.

But you could find yourself breaking axle shafts a little easier, just carry some backups, they are cheap enough.

Also, if this is a DD plan on replacing your tires once a year if you weld the rear.

well. ive heard mixed things. gotta weld it the right way or the gears snap. can't get gears too hot but then they may break. obviously we all know that your gonna have a great time in the snow. the burnouts are gonna be killer... if you can spin em both. now the worst thing ive heard about doing it is the slag from the welder getting on the inside of the diff and eating bearings. also it is a big strain on the axle's and the housing and everything inside of there. ohhhh tires will wear faster.

is it worth it? on a DD, no

anything else? id say so

look around for a cheap locker, they are around. Meanwhile put an Aussie in the front! ;) They are around 230 bucks.

Though that thought crossed my mind (I actually want to lock the front first) I want to regear b4 adding a locker so I am not spending money more than once on the same thing.

When I get my final gearing done I am hoping to get 4.88s and Eaton E lockers front and rear.

With an Aussie don't you need manual locking hubs as well?

No, manual hubs are NOT necessary. You can lock the front with no issues. With no power going to it there will be no noticing it is even there.

I have run one for YEARS, aside from the disengaging/ratcheting noise in corners its is completely invisible. Mine is a Aussie in a D30.

CW

Welding a D35 is just asking to get stranded. I have seen ppl snap them on the streets, and its not pretty.

I have welded more then one set of gears in my life. There are 2 ways of doing it. One is to weld the spiders together in 4 corners, and it works, but the welds can break especially if you are a throttle happy person. My prefeered method it to fill all the spider gears in with weld :nuts: and to weld a piece of plate to the back side if its a c clip axle, but if its a non c-clip axle burn plate in on both sides :eek:

At the same time mini spools are cheap (most under 75) and have the same effect.

Rockyour4x4 priced out a mini spool for my friends ford 9" for 55 dollars i believe. I can't quote that because it could be different since he didn't include shipping. but mini-spools are the way to go. I would much rather have something solid in my carrier than having to worry if those welds are going to break.

Look around on the net. I almost did one in the turd. I ended up doing a lock right instead cause it still sees street duty.

To me the only advantage to running a mini spool instead of welding is.. it can be reversed. Meaning if you can't stand the way it works.. you can pull it back out, or if you move up in gear ratio's and have to change your carrier you can move it to the new carrier. Most of the time when you weld spider gears.. you are not getting them back out.. especially if done right.