Suspension upgrade questions for plow install

Soon to be installing a Meyer 6.5 UniMount plow on my '88 Pioneer 4.0L 4wd and looking for suggestions on the best way to properly beef-up the front suspension for sufficient support. Plow will only be used to do my driveway, so it won't be for extensive use. Any suggestions on what you guys have done for your own trucks, and if there are any products/companies to avoid - any input welcomed ~ THANKS in advance!

acos is all i would do. maybe beefier shocks

acos will effect ride height at all times, it will not add support to the suspension. would you honestly be willing to adjust the crap outta your suspension when you put the plow on, then back it off when you take it off? it's not like adjusting acos is that easy...

my dad had a plow on his MJ at one point. it sucked the front end way down, so he put some heavy duty springs (available at napa/bumper to bumper I believe) in it to add support. it worked, but he WAS NOT HAPPY with the ride of the truck anymore. rides stiff no matter what you do.

anyways, whatever you do...you will probably not be happy. personally, I would put the plow on and use it, then take it off after every use to relieve the weight. wash the truck alot. you will not be impressed with the plowing ability of these trucks...they are way too light.

Take a close look to see if there's room for Monroe Load-Leveler coil-over shocks. They are made specifically for the purpose of handling occasional extra weight without stiffening up the ride. But ... they are usually used in the rear, for vehicles pulling trailers. I don't even know if there's a listing for the front of an MJ.

Failing that, I'd suggest ZJ V8 springs, or late model XJ Up Country springs. If you want to go that route, I can get you the part numbers.

The best setup for what your doing is to add air bags inside the coils.

I'm using one MJ for plowing now, and have a 2nd one that has the same setup, and that had a Myers 2 meter plow on it.

Here's the link to what I'm talking about ;)

The advantage to this is, you mount the plow, add some air pressure, do your thing, and when you take the plow off (about an added 260#) you release some air pressure, and it don't compromise the ride.

Plus for the cost of the air bags, and the ease to install them, your way ahead :D

Oh......and once you start plowing your own driveway........you'll find more to plow :brows:

Thanks for all the input....I'm trying to stay within a reasonable budget (HAhahahahahaheeheehee). I suspected I would need to upgrade just the springs at the least, hopefully something as straightforward as a ZJ coil-swap but the Air Spring kit looks interesting...particularly the ease of install -

Wildman -> can these be installed within my original stock coils or would I need to upgrade the coils as well (or might be worth doing if I have it apart?). The price is definitely right! I'm downstate NY, so I've got nothing near Buffalo snow but if that set-up works for you to plow up there then that'd be enough reassurance for me ;)

It was also suggested that I replace my power steering pressure & return lines due to the additional strain (and the pressure line drools slightly anyway). The pump itself is fine and for the most part I've always run with the "ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, but any thoughts on installing a rebuilt pump at the same time just to cover myself so I don't have to deal with replacing it mid-winter if it has any trouble? It's an '88 and I believe it is the original pump. Many thanks~ :bowdown:

Yes, the air bags fit inside your existing coils, and if your check out the pdf file on the installation instructions , it will all play out for you-

I was going to say that there 're-usable' from this truck, to your next truck, but, I guest that would be the same as upgrading the springs :hmm:

The major advantage of this system, is when the plow is off, you don't compromise the ride that you have now.

I would mount the plow first, drive it around and see how it feels, the front will drop an inch or two, and if your fine with that, run it. If you feel that the air bags will make a big difference, then install them ;)

As far as upgrading the power steering pump, the stock pump is fine, I've run 2 different MJ's with my Snoway plow, and had no problems with the power steering.

If your pressure line is leaking/dripping now......and it's 20 years old.....that I would change, Yes, you will be putting additional strain on the system.

I assume the plow your getting is used........you have more of a chance of blowing out a hydraulic line on the rams, and that is much easier to change out with todays weather, than in 10* weather.......with a foot of snow on the ground (I know what that's like :roll: )

The biggest trick with any truck used for plowing is the tires, stock size tires work much better that wide tires, they will dig in, and bite the base, wide tires will float on top of the snow, and don't bite into the snow to the base.

Also.......3-4 tube sands tossed into the back of the bed help keep the rear end down, and not floating around.

So.......you don't get them 11-12" dumps down your way???

Ive had no problem pushing that much in one time, but I alway push in 4wd low, and with my manual, it's much better, when I was pushing with the automatic, I could use 4wd high. The auto make it easier for pushing, but I can do just fine with the manual too ;)

So.......you'll get this all set up......and then you can't wait for it to snow.......and the first time your out there at 5am pushing the snow......you be sitting in the MJ waiting for the next snow storm :D

• 2 weeks later...
Failing that, I'd suggest ZJ V8 springs, or late model XJ Up Country springs. If you want to go that route, I can get you the part numbers.

Eagle - can you let me those part numbers for the ZJ coils or the XJ Up Country springs? I'm going to probably go with the airbag/coil set-up for the plow install, might as well put new coils in...assuming the only place to get OEM is thru a dealer? Am fearing the worst $$$-wise...but would prefer to go that route. THANKS!

What's wrong with some v8 ZJ coils from the junkyard?

Limited when it comes to junkyards locally unless I want to go down to the Bronx (ugh)...and a general concern that used suspension components may be just as worn or beaten as the ones I'm looking to replace.

In addition, my brother is updating the suspension in his '87 XJ plow truck, and he wants new coils for his truck...depending on price, I may take the same route. I wish I had the time to go junkyard hunting, but I'm swapping this plow over in my driveway weather-permitting, so I'm trying to get it all together ASAP.

Any suggestions for good online *reliable* used parts suppliers? Not something I'd look to eBay for necessarily...any suggestions welcome -

thanks

I can dredge up part numbers if you need 'em, but be prepared -- they cost me $65 each, with a discount, about four or five years ago. They're probably pushing $100 per side today.

A better deal might be "Cargo Coils" from NAPA or Carquest. They have part numbers that start (cleverly) with 'CC' followed by (IIRC) a 2-digit number. They'll be less than half the price of OEM.

I can dredge up part numbers if you need 'em, but be prepared -- they cost me $65 each, with a discount, about four or five years ago. They're probably pushing $100 per side today.

A better deal might be "Cargo Coils" from NAPA or Carquest. They have part numbers that start (cleverly) with 'CC' followed by (IIRC) a 2-digit number. They'll be less than half the price of OEM.

OK - I'll take a look locally and see what I can find first. I just don't want cheapsh*t made-in-china parts...thanks. Got my '88 back on the road today and that speedo cable is OK, works fine (so far) - thanks again.

If you are worried about the steering, I would suggest the durango box swap. They have a box spec'd for plowing and it will handle the load and is great for larger tires anyway. I am running one on my TJ and I swear it is better than new. Check NAXJA and lok for the write ups. You will not be disappointed.