Removing speedometer cable from cluster?

How does a guy get the mechanical speedometer drive cable to unhook from the gauge cluster easily and without breaking anything? The last time I did it, I seem to recall I broke it. It's kinda tight in there, and I think I'm going to need it again...

What year?

86 (and I think part of 87) there's a retaining screw that has to be removed. 88-90 (and at least the last half of 87, if not all of 87) has a white nylon quick disconnect. Pinch the outer ring and it releases the cable from the speedo head.

Alright, mine's the nylon type... I'll see what I can do, but I really can't get in there more than anything. Should there be enough slack in the cable to pull the cluster out to undo it? Mine definatly has no slack... I guess I could undo it from the tcase, that has to be done eventually anyways.

Nah, turns out it's retardedly easy once you get your hand in from the right angle. My cable had almost no slack, you couldn't pull the cluster out more than an inch... But if you go in from beside the ECM you can just give 'er a pinch.

Onwards... Now to pull the HVAC apart without wrecking it. Last time I used a sledgehammer. It was fast, but I broke a few things.

Mine ws the same way...no slack. I pulled a little too hard trying to get my hand in there and it pulled the metal crimped end off of the cable housing. Didn't hurt anything and it still works fine after I just pushed it back on there. I (like you) did figure out that it was much easier to go in by the ECU to get to it afterwards. :cheers:

When I had to pull my cluster it was in there so tight that I had to go underneath and unhook the cable from the T-case and then unhook it at 2 other points along the cable. Then I had to reach under and pull it through the firewall at the same time as trying to pull the cluster out. Just glad I didnt break it!!