97+ Interior Swap?

With all the talk about changing over the front clip and doors from 97+ XJs, has anybody here done the full makeover to include the interior, i.e. dash, console, EVERYTHING? When I first got my truck and was all over the net I remember seeing pics of one in progress, but I've never seen pics of one completed. I know I've seen pics of a couple MJs that had the exterior mods and the author mentioned it had the interior mods also, but no pics were attached. I believe there was a nice yellow one that supposedly had the full changeover and if I am correct that truck was rolled recently. Anyway, would love to see pics of a completed interior. If I was ever to entertain the 97+ exterior stuff, I would just want to go all the way and do the interior too. :chillin:

With all the talk about changing over the front clip and doors from 97+ XJs, has anybody here done the full makeover to include the interior, i.e. dash, console, EVERYTHING? When I first got my truck and was all over the net I remember seeing pics of one in progress, but I've never seen pics of one completed. I know I've seen pics of a couple MJs that had the exterior mods and the author mentioned it had the interior mods also, but no pics were attached. I believe there was a nice yellow one that supposedly had the full changeover and if I am correct that truck was rolled recently. Anyway, would love to see pics of a completed interior. If I was ever to entertain the 97+ exterior stuff, I would just want to go all the way and do the interior too. :chillin:

I will be doing that - Once I get a move on.

There have been a couple, one of them was in the projects forum. he posted mostly completed pictures.

Thing is, if your going to do the whole interior you really need to the the drivetrain too, which means just finding a good parts XJ, and if it were me I would go for a 99+ with the black interior.

LOL, yeah, I was the last one to post on that first thread link. Duh! Well, as I said, I knew I had seem some pics, but again not the final product. It has been 3 mos since his last update, I'll PM him to see if he's got new updates.

And 1999MJ, you said in that thread you have done this, do you have pics you can post up?

**EDIT: 1999MJs was the one I distinctly remember seeing before. Cool.

the newer gauge cluster WILL NOT work with renix, or normal H.O. motors and wiring harness. period. it is run by the 97+ engine computer

everything control wise uses different connectors on the 97+

I don't recall if it uses a different heater box, but i know it uses different vent tubes.

basically if you wanted to swap to it, you'd have to cut out the wires for the heater system from the 97+, probably grab the heaterbox too, and put it all in but hardwire the heater control to ignition power with a fuse. then you'd have to custom build a gauge cluster (whether with aftermarket gauges or factory ones) to go where the 97+ one would, as the only way to make it work is to make a bunch of adapters to switch the input signals (hard to do, but if you could do it and make more you'd have a good market).

the newer gauge cluster WILL NOT work with renix, or normal H.O. motors and wiring harness. period. it is run by the 97+ engine computer

everything control wise uses different connectors on the 97+

I don't recall if it uses a different heater box, but i know it uses different vent tubes.

basically if you wanted to swap to it, you'd have to cut out the wires for the heater system from the 97+, probably grab the heaterbox too, and put it all in but hardwire the heater control to ignition power with a fuse. then you'd have to custom build a gauge cluster (whether with aftermarket gauges or factory ones) to go where the 97+ one would, as the only way to make it work is to make a bunch of adapters to switch the input signals (hard to do, but if you could do it and make more you'd have a good market).

the dash, the heater box, the AC box, the blower.....etc etc etc are all different. and thats correct that the wiring isn't compatible(some of the electronics might be for the HO)

You really just need a parts Jeep to do this swap. Something like this:

http://klode.com/kws/napplications/disp ... exit=close

that sold for $300, it has all the parts you need to convert your interior over, save for the airbags(airbag set will run between 150-300). it also has a new drivetrain to go with all the interior. The pass door was good and the driver door was kinda dented.

If you wanted to do the front end conversion too you would then need to buy the new body parts, its hard to go wrong at $300.

cool! well like i said in the beginning, no intentions at this point to switch over, but if i ever decide to do the front end, i'll be going for the full monty with the interior too.

99MJ, assuming the interior is now complete, can you post up current pics? or are there some on here somewhere i overlooked?

I'm curious about the center console. I have one out of a 98 that I'd like to put in my MJ, but I can't seem to get anything to line up. Did you make a bracket for the rear mount points on the tranny tunnel? How did you get it to line up in the front near the shifter bracket?

I know someone who has done the swap. He says if he it to do all over again...he wouldn't. The time and effort wasn't worth the final result.

Not trying to discourage you. Personally, I think the newer interior looks a lot better.

I've done the 97+ doors and I'm planning to do the 97+ front clip. But that's about it.

Image Not Found

not much about the swap itself, but here is the thread:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5203

This is a longer build thread with more about the process of replacing the interior; its kind of in the middle and toward the end:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2962

I don't know guys that looks really cramped.. I don't think I would enjoy the drive with the new dash..

Image Not Found

not much about the swap itself, but here is the thread:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5203

This is a longer build thread with more about the process of replacing the interior; its kind of in the middle and toward the end:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2962

I don't know guys that looks really cramped.. I don't think I would enjoy the drive with the new dash..

The newer dash sit further away from the passengers, but higher up. It deceptive looking because the passenger airbag takes up some real estate.

cool! well like i said in the beginning, no intentions at this point to switch over, but if i ever decide to do the front end, i'll be going for the full monty with the interior too.

99MJ, assuming the interior is now complete, can you post up current pics? or are there some on here somewhere i overlooked?

Don't you know you should never assume.. Believe it or not the swap is still not 100% complete. I'm working on swaping the doors now and still don't have a carpet in there and some how the inside of the truck turned into parts storage and there's crap everywhere

Don't you know you should never assume.. Believe it or not the swap is still not 100% complete. I'm working on swaping the doors now and still don't have a carpet in there and some how the inside of the truck turned into parts storage and there's crap everywhere

Ahhhh jeeezzzz, what good are ya LOL? :popcorn: