Oil pressure drops

I would throw on a replacement filter without changing the oil. Then if nothing differs, i would change the oil with a thicker oil. If it's still acting funny, I'd then move on to more drastic measures.

If it was my truck, I would like to know the exact cause. And if you change everything all at once and it works, you won't know which one it was. :redX: It could be as simple as a failed oil filter.

I would throw on a replacement filter without changing the oil. Then if nothing differs, i would change the oil with a thicker oil. If it's still acting funny, I'd then move on to more drastic measures.

If it was my truck, I would like to know the exact cause. And if you change everything all at once and it works, you won't know which one it was. :redX: It could be as simple as a failed oil filter.

Yeah Pete that would be the easiest/cheapest thing to do.. I'll go be NAPA tomorrow and pick up a filter, throw it on, and let y'all know..

Well...I'm joining the low OP gang here. Mine is idling at 12 lbs and goes to a max of 40. I just ordered bearings and an oil pump for it... :chillin:

I just had it diagnosed by our engine guy here while I was on my lunch break. I'll start my own post about it next week when we get in to it, but just wanted to share my news of the day... :roll: :chillin:

Well...I'm joining the low OP gang here. Mine is idling at 12 lbs and goes to a max of 40. I just ordered bearings and an oil pump for it... :chillin:

I just had it diagnosed by our engine guy here while I was on my lunch break. I'll start my own post about it next week when we get in to it, but just wanted to share my news of the day... :roll: :chillin:

people like you make the world go around

Any chance you could snap a few pictures while it's all opened up to show people how to replace bearings "on-the-fly"? Are you doing all the bearings (rods and mains) or just the mains?

You can roll the new bearings in with out having to take the crank out... Loosen all the caps but do not take them all off, then pull a cap one by one off and take the accessible half out and take the new bearing half and use it to slide the old top half out, they go real easy and should all go by hand. If you have problems getting the pan off, get the biggest dead blow you can find and gingerly beat just below where it meets the block, work your way around the pan, in about 5 hits the whole she-bang falls off. Make sure you put a new rear main seal in, while you're in the neighborhood put a new timing chain, dampner, and timing chain cover seal in since you have to take the pan off to do so. make sure you RTV the block side of the pan gasket with a thin coat to help the cork / paper out.

Dave

For now we are just doing the rod bearings and the oil pump. We'll see what happens once we get in there and get a good look at them though. Our engine tech said that the mains are "very rarely ever a problem".

My oil pan should not be a big deal this time as it was just off about 6 months or so ago to do the rear main and the clutch slave so it has the newer, re-useable style gasket on it already.

I will get pics and start my own thread, or better yet...post this in my build thread when we get it done next week ;) . Might even make a DIY post out of it if I can.