Poor service - Pain in the $%&

Well here goes...

After working on it all weekend...

-New Battery Cables (+&-)

-Replacing all the fusable link under the hood

-Testing the Battery, Alternator, and coil (all good)

-General insnspection of the wiring surrounding the battery locale

... I gave up. I had to have the truck gone come Monday morning, when the gracious and kind University of Utah meter maids would have had her towed. :cry:

I had to towed to TereFlex Plus because I have had one good service experience and many good parts experiences with them in the past. I towed it the night of Sunday the 24th, so it was there in the morning on Monday.

I consider myself a fairly patient guy and I am willing to cut a lot of slack, but this has gotten bad. Let me relate my experience with TereFlex.

Monday the 25th:

I got a call, told the fellow all that I had done and I needed him to figure out the starting problem. I also wanted to get the rear main, and rear axle pinion seal done as my little CJ5 project was taking so much of my time (and I have to have it done by first snow). He said cool, he was on it.

Wednesday the 27th:

I call to find out the status as I had not been called. I left a message. It was not returned.

Friday the 29th:

Being that my message was not returned and frustrated at lack of communication. I called around noon. This time I got the same tech I got on Monday and had the same conversation I had with him Monday. I doubtmy MJ had even been looked at all week. I figured OK. Dude is on it now. Maybe they had a huge load of Jeep to finish for the holiday weekend and now that it has been sitting there all week they will really push to get my stuff done.

Tuesday the 2nd:

I called at noon, talked to a different service guy who said they were on it and he would have my guy call. He did not call!

Wednesday the 3rd:

Again called at noon. Got a machine, left a message. My call was not returned.

Thursday the 4th:

Called at noon, got my tech. He said it was not the CPS or Ignition unit and that it would start sometimes and not others. He believed it to be a loose or otherwise screwed wire somewhere. (And that someone had "glued" my oil pan to the bottom of the block, but they were taking care of the rear main as we were talking). He also said they had not done the rear axle pinion seal yet, but he would get a guy on it and he thought he would have it done by 6pm (closing time). He said he would call me by 3:30pm and let me know for sure whether it would be done that day. I got no call. So I called at 4pm to find out what the deal was. He told me they still hadn't found it, he would call me at 5:30pm if they found it, but if not? It would be the next day for sure.

Friday the 5th:

Today I called at 3pm, got a machine... They didn't return the call. So I called at 4pm, got a machine, didn't bother leaving a message. I called back at 5pm and got another tech, he said my tech was out on a test drive (Not indicative of my MJ), but that my ride would, once again, "probably not be done today." I told him that it had been there for two weeks and I was told it would be done??? He said he would have my tech call me... Well their closing time rolled around and? Surprize, surprize, NO CALL! :headpop:

Jesus Christ will return before they return a call, much less finish my truck. THis is a real drag. I had so much faith in their shop before this and this is such a let down. I almost feel a loss of relationship with a shop I truly trusted.

Now to top it all off this will be the 3rd weekend I have had no ride and the second it will be sitting at their shop. Most likely I would have had it done by now fixing it myself??? It has been there for 9 business days.

They know it my daily driver and that my other ride is going now. I am officially bummed.

What do you folks think?

Last winter I took my MJ to a shop I had used to bail me out in the past. I had a no-start, and a badly sprained back so I was in no condition to be crawing under a truck in the snow trying to solve problems.

I got it back two MONTHS later. While they had it they:

* Killed the battery (probably ran it down trying to start it, then parked it outside to freeze)

* Blew out my rear brakes

* Broke the right side cable on the parking brake

* May (or may not) have done something to contribute to the fact that I now cannot drive more than about 4 or 5 miles without the truck dying in the middle of the road.

This shop recently "reorganized." They changed the physical layout, and brought in a new service manager (who doesn't even speak English very well). The tech that's a fellow Jeeper and whom I had always considered my "go to guy" for work I couldn't or didn't want to do myself? The new service manager laid him off because he wasn't "productive" enough. Maybe that's because he took the time to actually FIX things, so his jobs wouldn't keep coming back.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm not looking for twice. They'll not see me in there again.

Man, I guess everyone will have a horror story to tell you. Most good reliable old time shops with whom I have dealt with for years have either changed hands due to retirement or have been passed on to their sons or other relatives who are more interested in making money than customer service. This includes big time dealerships down to mom and pop operations. The values just ain't there anymore. I don't trust anyone now, and I do everything I can by myself because of this. But, as you, I can't do it all, then you are at the mercy of the greedy in-and-out the door mercenaries. It sucks..............

I have been lucky too. I used to go to my friends fathers shop for all my repairs then he retired. I know bring it to my mothers mechanic for the repairs i can't/ don't want to do. He is going to do my ball joints and the u-joints in the front axle for $150 labor since i already got the parts. he also does good work. I would have it towed somewhere else.

I have been lucky too. I used to go to my friends fathers shop for all my repairs then he retired. I know bring it to my mothers mechanic for the repairs i can't/ don't want to do. He is going to do my ball joints and the u-joints in the front axle for $150 labor since i already got the parts. he also does good work. I would have it towed somewhere else.

Wow you are lucky I was quoted $700 labor for my ball/u joints so I did It my self. So Now I would consider myself somewhat of an expert in the field because I had to do it twice. O well now if anyone I know needs them done Ill do it for them For a small price and some beer. :cheers:

I hope the original poster is fixed up soon. I am fortunate to have an employee discount at my dealer. My mom works there, and they still have a few old school Jeep techs from back in the day. One guy we've known for over 15 years. I always request that he gets my stuff. So far the MJ hasn't had anything "big" to go wrong other than the A/C that barely works. I've done everything it's needed so far. This month is my one year anniversary having it! :chillin:

i hate it for you guys that are having trouble with your shops,

i work at a 3 man shop, me, the owner, and the parts/customer service guy.

and we'll do anything to make the customer happy, and a phone call is never forgotten. i think developing a good customer/shop relationship is key to success in this sort of thing

i know we wouldn't allow our customers to leave bitching or thinking they got screwed... sorry the rest of the shops out there don't think the same.

Well they didn't have it finished on Friday and the real bummer is they didn't call...

I called today. They didn't call me back today either!?!?!

So I googled "TeraFlex Utah sucks." I got a hit for some dudes myspace page... It said he and 3 other guys got laid off there.

I guess they are hardcore understaffed. BUT they could at least call me back after 10 business days! I have to believe they will do something to make this right. They have a reputation of being a good shop.

Well, I got it back... $920 for the rear main seal, CPS sensor, and diagnosing the short. They ended up running a new wire from the fuse box to the second starter solenoid with a diode on the end. They said that the particular circuit in the ECU that controls spark/fuel during starting.

What do ya'll think?

Well, I got it back... $920 for the rear main seal, CPS sensor, and diagnosing the short. They ended up running a new wire from the fuse box to the second starter solenoid with a diode on the end. They said that the particular circuit in the ECU that controls spark/fuel during starting. What do ya'll think?

I'd would want a wiring diagram/schematic of exactly what they jury-rigged to fix the short, including ECU pinouts, diode type they inserted, and the FSM circuit number/description they bypassed/replaced/ and/or cut out. Just in case it fails......... 8)

Well, I got it back... $920 for the rear main seal, CPS sensor, and diagnosing the short. They ended up running a new wire from the fuse box to the second starter solenoid with a diode on the end. They said that the particular circuit in the ECU that controls spark/fuel during starting. What do ya'll think?

I'd would want a wiring diagram/schematic of exactly what they jury-rigged to fix the short, including ECU pinouts, diode type they inserted, and the FSM circuit number/description they bypassed/replaced/ and/or cut out. Just in case it fails......... 8)

X2

I am glad that you got it going, but I would definitely want to know what/how on that wiring repair in case there was an issue in a place that you have no access to help.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, now that I settled on selling the CJ5 I had been working on, I am going to look into this wiring deal they did.

They really should (and probably would) show me.

I looked under the hood while changing the fluid the other day and found no new wiring. Maybe they just ran a wire from the ECU to the fuse box.

The jack asses I paid to put new speakers and a sub in (I know, I know, why pay? I was swamped at work and dealing with a crazy landlady sitch where I was just in a rush to get CJ5 mobile) left a messy wiring setup under the dash, so I'll be under there to look in the next week or so. If I can't see anything obvious I'll go back and ask for an schematic or a visual of what they did. I was able to get the wring diagram off of our lovely website here, so in the future I will probably not be sending to them for that again.

I must say they made it right, but some communication might have been nice? I would probably give tham another shot I guess, should it be required.