28MPG 1988 Eliminator 4.0L

HOrnbrod

I wish I could afford it - I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But ... I don't believe the 28 MPG for a nanosecond. I once got an honest 28 MPG in the '88 XJ 5-speed -- for ONE tank, running high-test gas so it would take more advance, one the small, original tires with a street-oriented tread, and on a straight highway trip from Connecticut up I-91 to Vermont.

Otherwise the XJ always got low 20's highway and about 19 to 21 local. The '88 MJ 5-speed gets about 2 MPG less and has less than half as many miles on it.

Ain't no way, no how a 4.0L MJ can deliver 28 MPG.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno Wahoo, but he definitely sounds like a marketeer. Kind of familiar w. Ellington. CT where the seller lives as in Rockville HS we used to go up there and kick their farm-boy butts in basketball regularly. Be nice if Eagle or CW could take the short drive and give an expert opinion. :cheers:

I haven't done it, but I have gotten 26mpg in my truck. That's with tired 275k injectors in it which I'll be replacing soon. And it's a longbed 4x4. A really healthy 2wd swb should be able to out-mpg my truck, fwiw. That's a renix/5 speed truck also. If any style 4.0l mj is gonna turn such a number, it would be a truck like that.

I haven't done it, but I have gotten 26mpg in my truck. That's with tired 275k injectors in it which I'll be replacing soon. And it's a longbed 4x4. A really healthy 2wd swb should be able to out-mpg my truck, fwiw. That's a renix/5 speed truck also. If any style 4.0l mj is gonna turn such a number, it would be a truck like that.

pfft. yea, after a regear to 3.55 gears. 5 speed 4.0 means 3.07 gears, which just SUCK regardless.