AX15 + 231

Yes it will work with some minor mods TJs had the AX-15 through 99. After that they had the NV-3550 (or the 3500, one of those) which is an even stronger trans if you can find it.

You'll need these parts from an MJ/XJ:

-t-case shifter linkage,

-trans mount

-trans shifter handle,

And the t-case will be clocked (rotated) slightly higher than an MJ/XJ so there's a chance of minor clearance issues with the floor pan.

Oh and yes, it'll be an internal slave.

the swap year for the ax-15 was 89 and they where internal up to 94 which they have switch to the external. and since the MJ where arrested in 92 they would be of the internal slave setup unless they have been swapped out to external. also in 89 was the different spline count 21 for the ba/10 and 23 for the ax-15 hope this helps :cheers:... I needed to read the full question :oops: listen to what Pete said :brows:

So...300 bones for the transmission and transfer case (as long as it works) is a good deal..Oh and it already has a SYE..don't know which brand but its got one.

thats a good deal, but idk about the SYE. that just means you need to buy a rear shaft. i'm not aware of anyone having real problems with d/shafts until like 8+ inches in manches

So...300 bones for the transmission and transfer case (as long as it works) is a good deal..Oh and it already has a SYE..don't know which brand but its got one.

thats a good deal, but idk about the SYE. that just means you need to buy a rear shaft. i'm not aware of anyone having real problems with d/shafts until like 8+ inches in manches

it's a GREAT deal.

the SYE will be a good thing...even though you will have to have a rear shaft built for it (less than $200 if you go expensive with a double cardan and slip shaft). think about it this way...if you break your rear shaft or bust a rear pinion or something on your rear end, you can still drive home in front wheel drive and not leak out all the fluids.

if you ask me, that's plenty reason.

are you lifting this truck? if stock, still buy the parts and I will trade you a stock np231 with matching spline count PLUS some cash for your 231 with SYE

it's a GREAT deal.

the SYE will be a good thing...even though you will have to have a rear shaft built for it (less than $200 if you go expensive with a double cardan and slip shaft). think about it this way...if you break your rear shaft or bust a rear pinion or something on your rear end, you can still drive home in front wheel drive and not leak out all the fluids.

if you ask me, that's plenty reason.

are you lifting this truck? if stock, still buy the parts and I will trade you a stock np231 with matching spline count PLUS some cash for your 231 with SYE

The 1995+ NP242 or 231 has a different seal setup such that fluid will not leak out the transfer case in the even you remove the DS, so that alone is not reason enough.

Yes I am going to lift it..Doing leaf spring conversion, D60 front and rear, and prolly some 40's..Truck I just finished building ended up with about 12.5" of lift..Thats why the SYE is a bonus for me.

Thats alot to ask of a 231.... maybe look into a stouter case? A flopped 300 fits the bill. :brows:

CW

Don't forget the pilot bushing. It's a different size. If you do a bit of internet searching you should be able to find the right one. When I did this same swap in my 87 about 8 years ago I measured the internal and external diameters with calipers and went to the parts store to find a match.