Clutch/Tranny Issue

Backed my truck down my driveway ( half way down I put it in neutral...long driveway). Went to put it in drive and clutch goes to floor. Started walking up driveway to get my JK to tow it and noticed a trail of fluid. Looked back under the truck and there was a small puddle at the back of tranny where it seems to go into drive shaft (please remember I have no mechanical skills). Any ideas on what it could be. Anything simple I could try or look for? Thanks. Diane :cry:

what I would recommend is that you fill the reservoir with the brake fluid and have someone push the clutch in a few times if the hose is ruptured you should see where the fluid is leaking from from the engine compartment area near the firewall. good luck jamminz.gif

Image Not Found

This is the area the fluid is coming from. I couldn't really crawl under today but it seems like it is in top of the tranny. Does a rubber line from the clutch cylinder cross over the top of the tranny? If so is it difficult to change?

Can’t really tell much from the picture btw you have to be some what flexible since you have to get the hose end off the reservoir “engine bay area” and the other end that you have displayed in the picture. This hose travels along the firewall from the reservoir to you tranny. Not sure if you have any assistance near by to help you out I would recommend it…. unless you are daring to do this my hats off to ya. You'll have to be a bit careful since there is some rust and don’t want to strip the heads on the hose end connections when taken them off. If you have a friend that can help you that would be great and if you were nearby I would be gladly to assist you. It should not take that long of a time to complete this task. May have to purchase that hose from the dealer unless Blatz can chime in and provide a part no. for ya hope this helps and good luck jamminz.gif

From your picture, the clutch line has popped, if your slave had blown out, the fluid most likely would be dripping out the front of the tranny.

The clutch hose can be bought thru a parts store.......RAYBESTOS Part # BH38935 .............For a Peugeot Transmission (BA10) Which if you have a '88 is your 5 speed tranny.

Here's a link to a picture of the hose.

It is a pain to replace, but not that hard, note the flair fitting on the line, so use of your 'flair' wrenches should be used. Soak that fitting down with some PB Blaster before you start wrenching. And bleeding of the line after your done replacing it, that where you might need help, with someone pumping the clutch pedal.

From your picture, the clutch line has popped, if your slave had blown out, the fluid most likely would be dripping out the front of the tranny.

The clutch hose can be bought thru a parts store.......RAYBESTOS Part # BH38935 .............For a Peugeot Transmission (BA10) Which if you have a '88 is your 5 speed tranny.

Here's a link to a picture of the hose.

It is a pain to replace, but not that hard, note the flair fitting on the line, so use of your 'flair' wrenches should be used. Soak that fitting down with some PB Blaster before you start wrenching. And bleeding of the line after your done replacing it, that where you might need help, with someone pumping the clutch pedal.

Hey Wildman, will that part number work for the external slave on an AX-15?

No, I do believe that the external slave is all one piece, pre-filled, from the master to the slave, that part number I posted is only for the BA10, the AX15 is RAYBESTOS Part # BH38938, and a lot shorter that the BA10 hose.

No, I do believe that the external slave is all one piece, pre-filled, from the master to the slave, that part number I posted is only for the BA10, the AX15 is RAYBESTOS Part # BH38938, and a lot shorter that the BA10 hose.

I know the dealers is a one piece deal, and you can buy the one piece aftermarket.

Hummmm,, wonder what the difference is on the two hose lines??

Think its the fitting on the slave side??? It looks like a bigger fitting on the external one......... :dunno:

The BH38938 for the AX-15 external slave;

BH38938-1.jpg

and the BH38935 for the BA-10 internal slave;

BH38935-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I was able to rule out the hose (although I will get that changed). I filled the master with fluid had someone pump the clutch. The fluid is squirting straight up from the top of the tranny/clutch area. Any other suggestions? I can't see it because it is on the top all I see is it squirting up and than dripping/pouring all over.

OK. I was able to rule out the hose (although I will get that changed). I filled the master with fluid had someone pump the clutch. The fluid is squirting straight up from the top of the tranny/clutch area. Any other suggestions? I can't see it because it is on the top all I see is it squirting up and than dripping/pouring all over.

Sounds like your slave has been beat to hard and now is screaming for affirmative action.

Wouldn't doubt it. Although the truck only has 80k on it it was used as a plow truck. I think it will go into the shop as it seems to be too much of a job for myself. Plus I need it to be reliable come winter because it is now my plow truck/money pit. :cry:

You say you only have 80K on it, but you use it for plowing (so do I ;) ) and you should know how hard plowing is to any truck.

I'm not saying you neglected it, just that plowing beats any truck faster, plus with all the reversing done with plowing, you really have like 100K+ on the truck.

If you think the slave is shot, might be a good time to to a complete clutch job, with pressure plate, disk, pilot bearing and flywheel too, in fact, you can buy a "clutch kit" for only a few bucks more that just the slave cylinder.

Check out This place.

Wouldn't doubt it. Although the truck only has 80k on it it was used as a plow truck. I think it will go into the shop as it seems to be too much of a job for myself. Plus I need it to be reliable come winter because it is now my plow truck/money pit. :cry:
what you may want to do since this is an internal slave is have them do a clutch job right off the bat and in the future i would swap in for ax-15 tranny with the external slave setup :brows: find someone here that may or can help you if i could i would ;)

Lotta hidden expense there. He'd need a new trans, find the right bellhousing, all the parts that go with the bellhousing, new trans mount, and best of all, a new t-case to match the 23 spline output of the AX-15. It was worth it to me when my Peugeot self-destructed, but it may not be worth it to a guy with a blow slave cylinder unless he can find a sweet deal on parts.

Lotta hidden expense there. He'd need a new trans, find the right bellhousing, all the parts that go with the bellhousing, new trans mount, and best of all, a new t-case to match the 23 spline output of the AX-15. It was worth it to me when my Peugeot self-destructed, but it may not be worth it to a guy with a blow slave cylinder unless he can find a sweet deal on parts.
agreed i have forgotten the issues with the spline count on the TCase casue thats what got me. BTW a good day at the local pic & pull could land them all that is needed to set things ups. it just a consideration heck they could go with nv3550 configuration as well.

if you do not think you could do the job, then take it in and have it done. I just did my clutch in my truck 89 comanche ba10 and every thing went well for me as in removal and install, but when i went to bleed the slave i could not get it to bleed. :headpop: And then i started losing fluid from the slave. Defective slave what are the odds? Put a new one in and bled the system and got my clutch back. Now i just lost my clutch master cylinder i put it on at the same time as the clutch getting air bubbles and foam. Today changing the master cylinder i hope that's all i have to do. Had to pull my tranny twice. what a pain. The owner before me rounded off all the bolts. If you do replace it yourself, be careful with the hard lines that come from the slave. They don't make them any more the guy i talked to is a dodge mechanic. Hope things go good for you.

.... Defective slave what are the odds? The owner before me rounded off all the bolts. If you do replace it yourself, be careful with the hard lines that come from the slave. They don't make them any more the guy i talked to is a dodge mechanic. Hope things go good for you.
. the odds where not in my favor two in a year :brows: and the switch was on i went with external setup just for that reason jamminz.gif and have not look back since. I know that they must have got a better internal slave, unless the dealership are the only place to get the best ones. I've read & seen a post on here of two different types pic's included :brows: and one was far better that the other I :dunno: who has them or where to get them from for those that still have the inny slave vice the outty slave :agree: with teeroy take it to a mechanic who you know or of your friends that know. now would be a good time to network. this could be an easy fix if its just the hose line and you'll know where they stand if they tell you upfront also. :cheers: