No Radio or Clock memory

Ok, finally just about got the interior buttoned up with everything that needed attention. The only thing holding me back from putting the dash back together is my dabgum radio and clock. The faceplate was missing from the Sony HU that was in there when I bought it. Got a super nice Pioneer deck for $50 on ebay, checked the harness on the Sony that was in there, same # of wires and colors as the Pioneer harness. I even clipped off the old harness below the previous connections so I would know what was left, right, front, rear etc.

Anyhoo, as another note to the frustration of this, before I pulled the old HU out, my clock worked fine, i.e. memory intact. In fact, while I was working on the radio is when I noticed the clock not working so for awhile I thought the clock was broken independently.

So, this is pretty basic stuff, and there are only so many wires available back in the radio hole. I matched up all the colors, of which the only ones that really matter are the yellow, red and black, right? Well, it wasn't that simple. Nothing seemed to get it juiced. Then one time I hooked up the yellows (battery) with the reds (accessories) and temporarily put them all together in a wire nut just to see if that worked. Whoila! Radio works, and "oh, what's that, clock works now too?!" It didn't seem right, but it was working. When I shut the ignition off for a few minutes to mess with something else, I noticed the radio and clock had no memory when I turned it back on to listen to the radio again. That's actually been a couple of months ago, and I just deal with having to reset all the radio settings every time I get in the truck. But now that everything else is done, this has to be fixed.

Suggestions?? :wall:

Wahoo,,, Pioneer uses the solid yellow wire for 12+ at all times the red wire is for switched 12+

As for the clock... hummm... it must be the gremlin that lives in both our trucks...

the clock issues could perhaps also happen if someone spliced into the clock harness to power the radio? :nuts:

Check all your connections with a multi meter, the aftermarket colors for power are:

Red: switched power

Yellow: constant power (memory retention)

Black: ground

there is also an orange or orange white on some, those are your illumination wires (I usually don't hook them up)

blue white is remote turn on for amps

blue is for power antenna

then you have you speaker colors

what probably happened is you constant wire fuse blew, that wire keeps power to the radio and to the clock to have them keep the time and radio settings. check all your fuses and replace any bad ones.

Try this wiring diagram to test your wires: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... /1219.html

so replace fuse, test wiring and then hook them up and you should be all set... hopefully.

Jonathan

The other thing is that the harnesses for the two companies might have differnt colors.

Yes and no. EVERY deck I've ever worked with had yellow for battery (constant), red for switched, and black for ground (obviously). I just pointed out that the speaker wire colors matched to eliminate anyone thinking I maybe had a speaker wire hooked to a power supply by accident.

the clock issues could perhaps also happen if someone spliced into the clock harness to power the radio?

Jeepco, that is most likely true. The PO seemed to be completely fascinated with the concept of splicing. There are strange remnants of wiring all over the place. I'll check again, but I think I looked at that before and the clock wires traced back on their own.

I have the manual, technically it's hooked up right. In fact, I ran wires straight from an accessory post and a battery post on my fuse panel to the deck. Same thing. Powered up but no memory once the key was off. Also, have checked all the fuses 3 catrillion times.

The clock has a double fuse. There is one that says dome and the other says power accs then says clock with an arrow pointing to it. Check both of them.

where might i find the above referenced items? are you saying this should be visible on the back of the clock?

The clock has a double fuse. There is one that says dome and the other says power accs then says clock with an arrow pointing to it. Check both of them.

where might i find the above referenced items? are you saying this should be visible on the back of the clock?

I'm looking at the diagram right now Greg, 12v+ is coming off the ign switch on a Orange wire to the clock fuse, then it goes to clock on an orange-yellow wire.. I think what he's talking about is the illumination circuit which is all the orange with black tracer wires which is fed from the light switch to the LPS fuse.. That illumination is really what lets you see the time, as you know its just a light bulb that passes light through the crystal(??) display. like if you were to take the light bulb out you would still be able to see the clocks time if you held it up to a flashlight.

They are just in the fuse box. But when my dome fuse blew my clock went out too. Even tho the fuse in the the power accs/clock slot was still good. So I was just suggesting that you check the wires running to/from both of these slots in the fuse box.