Will your heater/vent fan work with key off??

Well..... not only the heater, but the turn signals, clock backlight, hazard blinkers, and horn. (which I thought only worked with switch on)

so...... thinking is definitely has something to do with the 96 column.... :roll:

If its not one thing its a f-ing'nother.....

UPDATE.............

OK well its not the ign switch. I disconnected three connectors on the column that do the switching and still have power on turns and blower........ I guess I need to dig deeper,,, unless some one has any ideas......... :dunno: ;)

:D jt

Can you see all the underdash wiring from where you look?

Mine did the same thing as all the wires burnt/melted together when I had my harness problem. Check all the wires by your fuse box under the dash and on the side of the engine bay. I'd make sure no wires got stripped, are touching and melting together like mine did.

Mine did the same thing as all the wires burnt/melted together when I had my harness problem. Check all the wires by your fuse box under the dash and on the side of the engine bay. I'd make sure no wires got stripped, are touching and melting together like mine did.

Are you talking on the engine side? I'll check I might have pinched some wires when I put the booster back in... I'm just about to run out of steam on this truck!!!!

Are you talking on the engine side? I'll check I might have pinched some wires when I put the booster back in... I'm just about to run out of steam on this truck!!!!

yep.

yep.

(thinking outloud here) ok,, studying the diagram for an 88 xj I see the hot coming off the Ign switch with a brown wire that splits into 3.. one goes to the horn relay, one runs into the fuse box to the wiper/washer fuse, and one runs to 4 fuses; 1- rear wiper (I don't think I have one of those on my sliding glass, but could be wrong) 2- the radio 3- blower, and 4- the turn signal circuit... So the only wires I need to trace outside the firewall are the horn relay (not sure where that is right now) a rear wiper phantom wire , washer fluid level switch (which, by the way, I know is unhooked + it runs through the radio fuse :nuts: ) and the turn signal (hummmm, I did have to fix some wires going to the front left blinker/park light, but I think the blower was still working with key off before I messed with those wires :hmm: ) wait the wire runs through the turn B/U fuse from brown>fuse>yellow-T (which I presume the T means black tracer) to the flasher on fuse box... But, I'll still start at the repair I did on the park light first.. I then will proceed to that washer level switch (which I think I should just be able to pull the radio fuse and check for 12v on both sides of fuse connector) Thats all I really see being a problem right now unless like Chico added two wires could be passing voltage at a bad spot or something, which Ive dug into the system a few times and didnt see any wires melted together other then the brake fluid corroded pieces that I've already fixed .. I hate having to pull that bulkhead apart and back together on the firewall Its such a b!tch....

:popcorn:

The horn relay should be inside the cab, I believe up over the driver's left foot, or in the kick panel beside the driver's left foot.

I saw a white relay, but didnt really have time today to do any deep searching..

I looked at the engine bay side of the bulkhead and didnt see any signs of melted, cut, or bad insulated wires... Like I said didnt have alot of time to mess with it today.. I did see coolant all over my VC and manifold today from the front heater hose that sprung a leak.......... so I guess I'm not 100% operational as of yet... :hateputers: :headpop: :wall: :mad: :rant: :hate banana:

that white one is the horn relay.

Cool thanks,, I wasnt sure just know I saw a white relay...

here's all I did today ,,, I still have the problem even after I unhooked all the (3) connectors on the column.... The units stop when I pull each ones fuse, so I guess thats kinda a start... I'm hoping its something on the backside of the fuse box..