crankcase vent

i found a link to a all jeep junk yard near sacramento area awhile ago. i emailed them about the vent and they had one. i lost the wedsite info and am wondering if anybody knows what I'm talking about..

thanks

no. i have the 2.5. its the cylinder shaped object towards the back of the valve cover. as far as ive seen autp aprts stores don't carrry this item any more. and all the junk yards in san diego hardly have the 2.5 engines in them and if they do this part doesnt exist.

the evaporative cannister/charcoal cannister? Try car-part.com and just look up a 2.5 cylinder engine locally. That's the way to start. Purolator still makes a filter for the cannister ....yes, I bought one. :oops:

ok well i don't need the FILTER. i am seeing if anybody knows what I'm talking about with the junkyard in northern california. The is a all jeep junk yard and i need to know that name of it. PLEASE HELP!!

I stole this photo from the coolant recovery bottle thread. We're talking (I think) about the little cylinder thingie sticking up out of the back of the valve cover. It performs the function of a PCV but I don't know if that's the right name for this one.

On a side note, that junkyard has some nice people working for it. They treated me real well when I called.

Yes, they do treat you well on the phone. I only wish they treated you as well pricing out their parts too. :eek: :eek:

Can't compare to a yard in upstate NY. A few years ago, my buddy Erich called up all excited because he found a yard with two (count 'em, TWO) XJ Dana 44 rear axles. He needed one, and for the price I was ready to buy the other one. So he called back, confirmed and re-confirmed that they were really dana 44 axles, told them to go ahead and pull them, and we hitched up my trailer and headed off.

I don't remember just how many miles or hours it was to get there. It was NOT "next door." Got there, and they wouldn't let us inspect the goods. Had to pay first. "Are you absolutely CERTAIN these are Jeep Cherokee Dana 44 axles?"

"Oh, yes, no question about it."

So we paid, they gave us the magic piece of paper that would allow us to drive through the gate and back up to the loading dock ... where we found (naturally) two Dana 35 axles.

It took us about 45 minutes of arguing before they would acknowledge that they had no clue what the difference was and didn't even know there had ever been an optional axle in a Cherokee. Then it took another half hour to get our money back.

Yeah, I just LOVE junkyards.

Back to the crankcase ventilator -

I have an '86 2.5, and the one on mine looks absolutely nothing like that.

I assume at one point a PO just picked a generic one off the shelf at AutoZone, so I've always been purchasing one just like it.

Does it really matter? Isn't there a model that will work that's still available in stores, without having to track them down at JY's?

I ask because I currently have a rough idle gremlin hunt I'm on - and I'd feel pretty stupid if it turns out I just had the wrong crankcase vent this whole time.

Yeah, I'm on my fourth 2.5 MJ now, and I've never had that doohickey in my valve cover. A nipple goes in there, with a vacuum line to the throttle body. Unless somehow you have a carbureted engine, then I don't know!

Back to the crankcase ventilator -

I have an '86 2.5, and the one on mine looks absolutely nothing like that.

I assume at one point a PO just picked a generic one off the shelf at AutoZone, so I've always been purchasing one just like it.

Does it really matter? Isn't there a model that will work that's still available in stores, without having to track them down at JY's?

I ask because I currently have a rough idle gremlin hunt I'm on - and I'd feel pretty stupid if it turns out I just had the wrong crankcase vent this whole time.