SWAP AX5 FOR A 700R4

well i got my heep up n running and been out banging gears and i keep thinking how every one says that the Ax5 can't hold together with more than stock HP and I'm running the 3.4v6 and had the bright idea of swaping a brand new 700r4 from my budys s10 into the heep .

the s10 is a 2.8 (blown, suprise suprise) 4x4 87-88 IIRC

question:

I'm almost 100% sure but is the t case drop on the D-side and if so

what do yall think / pros cons , possible isues id run in to etc...

and yes the 700r4 has had a bad rap but i think it is a good tranie

Reason for the swap:

the 700r4 has less than 100 miles on it the price would be free or close to

id still have an over drive , less strain on the drive train and i could get a rachet shifter which is worth another 5-10 hp out of the box :driving:

700r4 is too weak for a full size truck/SUV with a 350. In something like a Comanche it'll be just fine.

Main question is whether or not it fits in the tunnel, and accept you will probably have to fab up a custom cross member to mount it, as well as drive shafts. It is unlikely the transfer case will end up exactly where the old one was. I assume it'll be toward the rear a bit more.

The early 700R4s suck. Why do you think he's got a tranny with no miles on it? The other one exploded... Which is pretty typical. The good news is I'm pretty sure when they rebuild them they deal with most of the issues of the early ones.

Anyways, if it bolts up, why not? It should be fine for you.

I'm prity sure it would fit the tunnel if not i could make it fit and I'm not worried about the fabn part i also have a 2 piece rear d shaft in the works and i still got to make a front d shaft but I'm still bench racing all this

The early 700R4s suck. Why do you think he's got a tranny with no miles on it? The other one exploded... Which is pretty typical. The good news is I'm pretty sure when they rebuild them they deal with most of the issues of the early ones.

Anyways, if it bolts up, why not? It should be fine for you.

yes the early ones do suck but when they are rebuilt they are updated with all the new stuf and it was the engine that blew up not the tranie ,the truck had over 200k and the trans was original

I'm in the same boat (somewhat). I'm now on my 4th blown AW4 and have a built 700r4 sitting here. However I haven't talked with anyone who's actually used one behind the 4.0L before in the XJ/MJ platform.

If you do go that route, please let me know as I'm curious if it will fit the tunnel. I do NOT want to cut any metal to get it to fit.

I'm in the same boat (somewhat). I'm now on my 4th blown AW4 and have a built 700r4 sitting here. However I haven't talked with anyone who's actually used one behind the 4.0L before in the XJ/MJ platform.

If you do go that route, please let me know as I'm curious if it will fit the tunnel. I do NOT want to cut any metal to get it to fit.

Great thing about GM is that just about anything will bolt up to anything. Our Jeeps don't quite seem to work that way. An AX4/5 may interchange with a 700R4 because they were not only used behind the 2.5, but also the GM 2.8V6.

The 4.0 is completely different and will probably need some sort of adapter, assuming someone actually makes one.

Also, are you going to keep the NP231 (assuming you have a 231), or move to a 241 that was ment to be bolted to a 700r4? The 241 is quite a bit larger (I compared the one in my Suburban side by side with the 231 in my MJ) and may not fit the tunnel. But you may need an adapter to bolt a 231 to a 700r4.

Great thing about GM is that just about anything will bolt up to anything. Our Jeeps don't quite seem to work that way. An AX4/5 may interchange with a 700R4 because they were not only used behind the 2.5, but also the GM 2.8V6.

The 4.0 is completely different and will probably need some sort of adapter, assuming someone actually makes one.

Also, are you going to keep the NP231 (assuming you have a 231), or move to a 241 that was ment to be bolted to a 700r4? The 241 is quite a bit larger (I compared the one in my Suburban side by side with the 231 in my MJ) and may not fit the tunnel. But you may need an adapter to bolt a 231 to a 700r4.

I've got the 700r4 to the 4.0L block covered, it's the tunnel I'm concerned about. I just really do NOT want to cut to get the clearance needed.

I will be running a clocked 231 with a Box-4-Rocks setup. If I end up not going that route It'll be an Atlas. TC doesn't matter as I can just clock it to get it to fit if needed.

A 242 will never be in any of my rigs, they are weak and don't offer any aftermarket support. Not to mention the only SYE available for them is a hack-n-tap.

I agree with the later 700r4's as being better. I was going this route with the TJ to lower my rpms on the highway and get better gas milage with the added overdrive. No electronics to worry about. Advance adapters had what I needed to make the swap. Unfortunitly, I couldn't see paying $1500 for the adapters for the 4.0 and tcase and then having to pay for a good tranny. By the time it was over, I would have invested about $2.5-3k for an extra what, 4-5 mpg. Would take a few years to see the savings. I know this is not the reason your looking into this, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

:cheers: