xj exhaust on mj

sorry but I'm not familar with exhaust. so i can buy this kit and the "turn-down" it? or is there a different kit?

No kits are available for the MJ as far as I know. What you need to do is order the muffler of your choice and as mentioned take it to a respectable muffler shape and have them fab up either a larger diameter pipe (2.5" at most) or you could just have them install the muffler and reuse the stock pipe.

Just make sure you order the right inlet/outlet size. Stock tail pipe is 2.25"

sorry but I'm not familar with exhaust. so i can buy this kit and the "turn-down" it? or is there a different kit?

You don't need a kit to do a turndown. Only the proper size muffler and a turndown tip to add on to the end (and maybe a short pipe extension if the 2 don't quite reach the rear hanger like mine did). I imagine both could be had at a local auto parts store. Buying the proper sizes will be key and the guys at the store should be able to make sure you're getting the right stuff. Just be sure to measure the exterior diameter of the pipe on your truck where the new stuff will be added. The pipes need to fit inside each other so inner and outer diameters of the various parts are important. Or you can buy the stainless steel band clamps like I've done and then the outer diameters need to match.

I keep forgetting about the legal concerns that other states may have. You guys and your crazy inspections...

I installed the 40 series on my mj, test drove and removed it after twenty miles. Couldn’t stand it, made my 4.0 sound like it was in labor just to get to 3rd gear. The only reason I bought it was because the 50 series sounds so good on my J20. Huge difference.

After that mistake I bought the oem muffler from checker for $60 and a new tail pipe at autozone for $65. That’s less than the rustys deal. Too bad you don’t live around here because eventually I am going to sell the 40, hopefully to a ricer, lol.

At az emissions they can’t cross over the dyno so your tail pipe has to be accessible without doing so. That pretty much means Behind the rear wheel or further back.

tipshades.gif

I installed the 40 series on my mj, test drove and removed it after twenty miles. Couldn’t stand it, made my 4.0 sound like it was in labor just to get to 3rd gear. The only reason I bought it was because the 50 series sounds so good on my J20. Huge difference.

After that mistake I bought the oem muffler from checker for $60 and a new tail pipe at autozone for $65. That’s less than the rustys deal. Too bad you don’t live around here because eventually I am going to sell the 40, hopefully to a ricer, lol.

Same here. I had a 40 series on my stroker and took it off in less than 20 miles. I sounded like a loud tin can and had a harmonic resonant droning at around 2100 RPM that would rattle your fillings. I put on a Walker free flow muffler and ran duals back and it sounds sweet now. Made a big difference on the dyno too.

But you really don't know what any exhaust will sound like until you hook it up and give it a smoke test. I think the combination of a stroker, headers, and 2.5" pipes is why mine sounded like crap at first.

huh, i love my Flowmaster 40. I agree it does hum pretty loud around 2,000 but besides that it sound great.

Like I said, they sound different depending on the engine and exhaust system. The resonant drone was so bad around 2100 RPM the damn dash and windows would vibrate. Along with your dental work. Trust me Wade, you would not have liked it. :cheers:

Nice now though...........

huh, i love my Flowmaster 40. I agree it does hum pretty loud around 2,000 but besides that it sound great.

Yea, a little loud for me, and I don't have a head liner so.. I think that muffler dented my roof. tipshades.gif