new title: 2.5 -> 4.0 swap

Good weekend…..Greg came down and spent the night, and we got some serious wrenching done (and drank an assload of beers, feasted on some smoked pork shoulder, corn on the cob, and sliced tomatoes). We got the MT springpacks swapped into his MJ, along with a set of V8 ZJ coils and 1-3/4” spacers:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

And we got the driveline on my MJ pulled :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, actually it wasn't a good weekend at all.

It was a GREAT weekend!! :cheers: jamminz.gif :cheers:

And not just from everything we got accomplished, but in meeting new friends and being shown such great hospitality. (What would you expect from a couple of Pittsburghers transplated to God's country, errr, Virginia).

If you ever get the chance to wrench with Jeff, I suggest you do it. You're likely to learn a thing or two while having a good time. It's nice to work in a relaxed atmosphere too, especially if you are not Mr. Goodwrench and you're wrenching buddy is (Jeff) but doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.

As Jeff said, we massacred a substantial amount of BL's and BLL's and then finished the day off on Saturday with a pork shoulder that he had on the Weber Smokey Joe for about 8hrs. And his wife Missy was super cool about some stranger from an internet 4 wheel drive club coming to their house. :nuts:

Then back at it this morning to pull his driveline out and a few more refreshments. Pretty cool to pull the whole engine, tranny and xfer case all in one shot. :cheers:

Thanks for posting the pics too Jeff (I'm also posting some on the "introduce your comanche" sticky to compare to stock height). We think I netted about 2.5" up front and close to 1.5" in the back, so when I wear out the Bridgestones, I can throw 31s on no problem. Of course Jeff was teasing me as to how long it will be before I want to lift it more. We'll see......... ;)

Greg.....it was my pleasure. Glad you had a good time :cheers:

Got the underhood wiring harness and vacuum harness pulled out today:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Buncha 2.5 stuff:

Image Not Found

The workshop:

Image Not Found

Started working on the 4.0L I got from Pat this weekend.

Image Not Found

Pulled and painted the oil pan, and put new freeze plugs in it

Image Not Found

Pulled the head off and took it to the shop to hot-tank it and have the broken exhaust stud fixed. Should have it back tomorrow

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Installed a new RMS and a Felpro 1 piece pan gasket

Image Not Found

I’m reusing the headbolts (and will be painting the tops), so I cleaned them up on the bench grinder

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Started putting things back together. At this point, I have to wait for the head before I can assemble any more

Image Not Found

Installed an HO compressor bracket and mounted the compressor (for OBA)

Image Not Found

Where it sits now

Image Not Found

4.0 head bolts are TTY (torque to yeild), they can be reused one time. If you reuse them you're supposed to dot them on the tops with a mark to denote they're on their second tour of duty.

Jeff

4.0 head bolts are TTY (torque to yeild), they can be reused one time. If you reuse them you're supposed to dot them on the tops with a mark to denote they're on their second tour of duty.

Jeff

i do recall that as being the case. jamminz.gif

Got the head back from the good ‘ole boys shop yesterday, hot-tanked and broken stud (with a broken drill bit stuck inside of it too) milled out and replaced with a helicoil. Also test-fitted an RE trackbar brace (thanks Pat!) that for the most part all lines up. Not sure if it will be in the way when I go to reinstall the driveline, but it’s so easy to fit in right now with nothing (like an engine) in the way…..

Repair:

Image Not Found

Cleaned up head (pushrods are off soaking in some solvent at the moment):

Image Not Found

TB brace:

Image Not Found

Now I can finish bolting the engine back together, and hopefully get the whole driveline back in this weekend. Next weekend is travel to PA for the wifey’s family reunion, so no work on the MJ after this weekend for a couple of weeks :cry:

Jeff

Small progress made on Saturday, my weekend got cut short.

reinstalled head:

Image Not Found

put the manifolds, new injectors and fuel rail on:

Image Not Found

new fancy FelPro valve cover gasket (it better not leak, it was $51!!!):

Image Not Found

new power steering pump, plugs/wires/cap/rotor, oil and filter, serpentine belt:

Image Not Found

Basically, the engine is ready to drop in. I stopped down last night to drop off some parts and noticed the oil pan gasket was leaking a couple drops right in the front under the HB :mad: Snugged the pan bolts up and cleaned the whole area up and will recheck tonight after work to see if it’s still leaking (hopefully not)……everything was SQUEAKY clean when I assembled it, so I’m not sure why it’s leaking in the first place.

I’ll be at it all weekend coming up, my wife is going out of town and I got a reprieve from going with her. Anyone’s welcome to stop by and help or just hang out…..

Jeff

Weekend progress (cut short by work :mad:) Ran into a problem with the pilot bearing being wrong….I’m heading to the parts store today to get what I hope is the correct one. Once I get it, I can bolt the new flywheel, clutch, and tranny to the engine and set it all in place (maybe tonight).

Got the 4.0 harness and new throttle cable installed:

Image Not Found

Swapped HVAC fans because the connector was different:

Image Not Found

4.0 ECU installed, and only had to make one splice, everything else connected right up:

Image Not Found

Had to swap the heater control valve (2.5 routes coolant thru the intake manifold):

Image Not Found

Moved onto the tranny, new slave/throwout, CPS and output seal:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Cleaned up the dust shield:

Image Not Found

Waiting on the pilot bearing now:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

All I really need now are new heater and radiator hoses and a muffler (new cat converter in hand, too). Also have to splice the 4.0 fuel lines into the 2.5 ones, and figure out where to mount the coolant overflow bottle (once I get the engine back in).

Jeff

well, I've already blown the budget on this project :oops: and didn't want to spend any more coin on the external setup. Plus I'm paying rent on the storage facility/workshop I'm in and am trying to get out by the end of this month so I don't have to spring for another month's rent.

Future plans, once this is in and running, is to build up a stroker to replace it. I'll probably switch to an external when I do that, but that'll be a year or two down the road.....

Jeff

depends on what Hanna does.....I've got race tickets for RIR for me and the wife plus my brother and sis-in-law who are coming down from PA. If the race is rained out Saturday my bro and I will be wrenching, but if the race goes as scheduled we'll be there and I'll be wrenching on Sunday (they're heading down to the beach for the rest of the week).

Guess I won't really know until they call the race.....gimme a call on my cell 804-720-3106 Saturday morning and I'll let ya know what's up.

Jeff

OK, chances are you will be turning a wrench. I'm not a fan of this time of year because its when I have to make the call to switch from my bikini top to something else on my TJ. Right now its looks like I might have a wet ride unless I switch it out.

I'm not going to be able to help on Sunday. I'll give you a buzz Saturday morning. Of course if the weather is very bad, I'm probably not going to venture out.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting development here…..I installed the brass bushing (that’s been sitting in my freezer for the last 10 days) after work last night. It went in without a hitch. Then I proceeded to install the new flywheel and got lucky because I had a spare set of bolts from a clutch job in the past. The flexplate bolts (remember, this engine was in front of an AW4 at one time) are not long enough. Got that done and went to install the new clutch……..and it’s the wrong #%#*&! one. Parts store gave me an AX5 clutch not an AX15.

I’m taking it back today after work and exchanging it, and I’ll bet you any money that the pilot bearing that comes in the AX15 kit will be a perfect fit. The one I have now is for an AX5, which presses into the flywheel, not the back of the crank.

New bushing installed:

Image Not Found

Flywheel installed:

Image Not Found

Flywheel versus flexplate bolts:

Image Not Found

Made some progress this weekend, but not as much as I’d have liked to. Got the correct clutch kit (with the correct pilot bearing), swapped the bushing for the bearing and got the clutch and tranny installed on the engine. Jerry and his son came down on Saturday and we got the driveline in. I forgot to pick up the plate for the transmission that the mount attaches to, so I had to hit the junkyard this morning and pick one up. Got the plate, mount, AX15 shifter, and a clutch master cylinder for $30. Futzed around with the crossmemeber for about an hour trying to get everything lined up and realized I had it installed backwards…flipped it around, had to pound out a stud on the passenger side framerail that didn’t line up with anything, and bolted it all up. Hung the transfer case, cleaned up the shop and called it a day. I got smashed on tequila Saturday night and felt like crap all day today.

Couple pics:

Correct pilot bearing, installed

Image Not Found

New clutch kit

Image Not Found

Tranny bolted on, ready to install

Image Not Found

Going in

Image Not Found

Finally installed and all bolted up

Image Not Found

i bet you can't wait to fire it up and drive it for the first time :D

just make sure that you baby the clutch for the first 1000 miles or so

i changed the clutch on my first car ( 1995 dodge neon) 4 times before some one told me that. i would put one in and in 2-3 months i had to do it again. thankfully the people warnted it out every time.

the fasest i went through one was 768.4 miles when i took off the trany there was no friction disk just a bunch of little particles

i put a racing clutch in it after that time broke it in right and never had a prolbem with is sence

minor progress, got all of the sensors/injectors/wiring hooked up. Just waiting on one wire from Jon Kelly that I forgot to order and I can get the battery back in and all the starting/charging circuits hooked back up. Still need to swap fuel pumps and connect the fuel lines (spliced them on backwards, so I have to skinny in there and switch them around), and install the radiator and coolant. After that, which I hope to get done on Saturday, it'll be time to fire :cheers:

I spliced the pigtail for the auto tranny wiring (underhood harness came from an auto MJ) to delete the NSS wiring and hook up the backup light circuit. Tied the B and C wires together for the NSS, and spliced the A and E wires to the backup light switch connector on the AX15. I'll post a few pics of which wires I'm talking about plus the wiring kit from Jon soon.

Jeff