new title: 2.5 -> 4.0 swap

probably not, but I'm not using it as a sealer in this case. The tubes are in good shape and not cracked/leaking, I just added the JB to add some rigidity to them, so that they don't end up cracking down the road.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got it all put back together and took it on a maiden voyage Saturday night, good highway trip with some minor wheeling to a spot in the woods to watch a CJ get very stuck. Got a few minor issues......fuel pump sending unit is leaking (the o-ring slipped on install), transfer case got stuck in 4HI for a bit then popped out quite unexpectedly (lotsa scary noises there :roll: ), and I have a moderate case of blowby to diagnose. It didn't help that I forgot to connect the air tube to the airbox securely, which came loose and dumped gobs of oil all over the frame/steering box.

Other than that, which I'll fix this weekend, it runs and drives great. I could very easily run 35's if I wanted/needed to. On the highway @ 65 I was taching around 2600 rpm in 5th.

Gonna do an oil change this weekend, going with 10W40 (oil pressure dropped but remained steady at 25-30 psi) and add a can of Restore.

Jeff

I don't remember that engine having an issue with blow by.. which is why I kept it. Rings might need to reseat. You can always hook up a CJ style PCV style system. I will explain more if you are intrested.

Your RPMs are a lil high. Ideally you want to turn the same as stock which should be under 2000rpms. So I say 35's would be a good move up.

The T-case.... I would try adjusting you linkage, but it is not uncommon for them to take a second or two to disengage

I'm thinking the rings need to reseat is all, like you said. Been driving it around locally and it looks as though it's starting to tighten up a bit already.

Not sure if I want to go to 35's or not. I really dig the power in 1st gear with the 33's, especially in 4LO :D

I was pretty twisted up when the TC jammed, had my right side in a 3 ft trench....I'm guessing the craptastic factory linkage wasn't very happy when I tried to shift it......

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little incident last weekend, the stupid little u-clip that holds the hydraulic line into the internal slave/throwout fell out and the line popped out, rendering my clutch useless (as I was driving down the road @ 45 mph). Got it back down to the garage, pulled the tranny back out and replaced the u-clips with cotter pins ;) Got the tranny/TC and crossmember back in last night after work and got the clutch bled again. Still have to put the starter back in, hook up the TC linkages and rehang the driveshafts, but it'll be back on the road again tonight (I hope)

replaced the u-bolts with cotter pins, neither line will slip out again…..

Image Not Found

quick shot of the new clutch package while the tranny was out:

Image Not Found

Your RPMs are a lil high. Ideally you want to turn the same as stock which should be under 2000rpms. So I say 35's would be a good move up.

:agree:

Stay tuned.....got a surprise coming tomorrow morning :evil:

Jeff

edit: add keyword shadow, so I can find this friggin' post on a search for future reference purposes ;)