Checking your Alternator

I know mine works but I'd like to know if it's working at optimal condition.

Does anyone know what voltage or amp it should be kicking out and how I would check it with a voltmeter.

On a side note, if I go to buy a new one, what brand/amp is the best you can buy or what should I buy if I plan to later need more juice for aux lights etc....

I really don't want to go to Autozone and have them check it.

Edit: On a side-side note, does anyone have a good write up on removal/installation of a new one.

It's not that I have anything against Autozone, just that the employees at the store near me are extremely rude and seem to throw a fit everytime I ask them a question.

That and I saw in Quadratech's catalog that there is like a 170 Amp alternator (don't quote me on that #) and I don't think Autozone carries anything that powerful by looking at their website. So since I doubt I'll buy it from them I feel bad asking an already rude employee for help on something that they won't be selling me anyway.

It's not that I have anything against Autozone, just that the employees at the store near me are extremely rude and seem to throw a fit everytime I ask them a question.

quote]

same thing with me! i tell the idiot what to type in his computer and he can't find it. so i tell him what it looks like. he gets smart with me.... i don't go back.

Edit: On a side-side note, does anyone have a good write up on removal/installation of a new one.

It helps a TON to have an extra set of hands for the install. I'd recomend not even attempting it by yourself as you'll hate your Jeep by the time your done. It's worth a case of beer (or whatever it takes) to get your buddy to help.

your alternator should only be a 90 Amp one...170 AMPs is way overkill for your jeep

Yeah, but will it hurt anything to put the higher Amp one on. This is considering I plan on one day adding fog lights, two electric fans instead of one, 4 lights on a show or roll bar, lights in the back to light up the bed and the area behind me and who knows what other electrical doo-hickey I can throw on there.

I don't want to skimp on the alternator only to have to replace it 1 year down the road because of crap I add on.

It helps a TON to have an extra set of hands for the install. I'd recomend not even attempting it by yourself as you'll hate your Jeep by the time your done. It's worth a case of beer (or whatever it takes) to get your buddy to help.

What? To change an alt? They are a easy to change. Well maybe for me being I change them and starters all the time.

I wann say there is a conversion to put the alt at the top of the engine instead of the trouble some bottom. But not sure where it is, but if anyone knows let me know.

your alternator should only be a 90 Amp one...170 AMPs is way overkill for your jeep

Yeah, but will it hurt anything to put the higher Amp one on. This is considering I plan on one day adding fog lights, two electric fans instead of one, 4 lights on a show or roll bar, lights in the back to light up the bed and the area behind me and who knows what other electrical doo-hickey I can throw on there.

I don't want to skimp on the alternator only to have to replace it 1 year down the road because of crap I add on.

no it won't ,but for the money go to an alt/batterey shop and have them boost yours or trade yours in for an 130 and it'll set you back $125, dang near the price of a new one.

X2. It's a major PITA especially if it's much larger than the one you're replacing. But maybe we're not as talented as the Mini-man. :cheers:

X2. It's a major PITA especially if it's much larger than the one you're replacing. But maybe we're not as talented as the Mini-man. :cheers:

Oh, go chrome something! :rotfl2:

Here's the one linked below that I put on mine to drive the 100w halogen lights, electric fans, blower motor, etc. A 136A from a ZJ V8. Unfortunately Chico it's won't work on your junk because it's a Renix. :oops:

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

That's a good article Don, thanks. So, I guess I'm looking for an alternator that's 130 Amp? There's no battery/alt shops around me. Can anyone recommend a good alternator for an 88 4.0 and place to buy it? (Napa's out of the question.)

Here's the one linked below that I put on mine to drive the 100w halogen lights, electric fans, blower motor, etc. A 136A from a ZJ V8. Unfortunately Chico it's won't work on your junk because it's a Renix. :oops:

That's a good article Don, thanks. So, I guess I'm looking for an alternator that's 130 Amp? There's no battery/alt shops around me. Can anyone recommend a good alternator for an 88 4.0 and place to buy it? (Napa's out of the question.)

????????????????????

A & S Alternator & Starter Service

1625 Market St Camp Hill PA 17011

717-975-9605

The only aftermarket higher amperage alternator is MEAN GREEN and its ridiculously priced...the ZJ alt won't work on a RENIX motor...i tried and the wires don't line up and the brackets are different...best option is to have it rebuilt with higher output.

I used to run 4 150W KC and full stereo on my MJ with a Duralast gold Alternator and my Optima Red top and never had an issue with anything

????????????????????

A & S Alternator & Starter Service

1625 Market St Camp Hill PA 17011

717-975-9605

Damn Rog, that's amazing. I didn't even know that place exsisted, and it's less than two miles from where I'm at. Thanks :cheers:

Well, I take that back about you "can't" use the 136A ND alternator I used on your Renix. The below vehicles all use this alternator:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van

1997-1998 Dodge Dakota

1998 Dodge Durango

1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup

1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Part # OEM PN:56027913

These are available on Ebay all the time. To make it work you would have to get the alt. brackets at the junkyard from a 91+ XJ/MJ w. the 4.0L engine. AND you'll need to wire in an external voltage regulator since the 91+ XJ/MJ regulates the alternator with the ECU. There are writeups on NAXJA from guys who have done this.

Might be easier though to get your existing Delco alt rewound for a higher amp output, although I have no idea how mmany amps that would be.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that post Mini. I added the last two posts on that thread (comanche91). I didn't have to do any bracket grinding whatsoever to fit this alt into my 91. The only conclusion I have is that the 91 alt brackets must be different than the newer model brackets.