MJ of the month Sticky? Vote

MiNi Beast

Do you like this layout for MJ of the Month?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this layout for MJ of the Month?

• Yes
    • no

MJ of the Month

Pete M

Year/model: ex-2wd 1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer shortbed

Owner: Pete Montie

Engine: 200k mile 4.0L

Trans: swapped in a ‘99’ TJ ax-15

T-case: np-231 t-case from the same ‘99’ TJ

Front axle: Upgraded the 2wd cross beam to a '78 full-size ford bronco D44 with a mini-spool locking it up and Warn premium hubs to unlock for that pavement pounding.

Rear axle: Matching '78 full-size ford 9" with the factory posi which replaced the MJ Dana 44 (that replaced the original broken D35).

Lift: Spring-over conversion in the rear (with 2wd MJ leafs) and 3” lift coils on top of a 2” taller ford axle (compared to the common stock D30) netting about 5” of lift. He used the Ford radius-arms and then built his own cross member, draglink and track bar to bring it all together.

Gears: Running the factory installed 4.10’s

Tires: With a 5” lift there is enough room to run 33x12.50x 15 TrXus MTs wrapped around a set of Schmuck 15x8 ARs. For trails demanding a bot more tire, a pair of 33x14 Boggers go on the rear.

Extras: Amongst custom suspension set up for his front 44, he has 3x5 tube steel bumpers, carries a custom tow bar in case something fails out on the trail, a custom roll bar that is made from two inch diameter, .120" wall DOM tube (which is welded/bolted to the frame), along with rocker guards built to be stronger than anything he has seen. The truck used to have a full-on custom stereo system, but most of it got moved to the new daily driver.

Immediate plans: Give it a new look with a desert tan paint job, finish swapping in the new 9" (4.10s, full spool, and disk brakes), swap the front minispool with a locker, and replace his tired 4.0 with the fresh rebuilt one sitting in the half-an-XJ in the garage.

Far future plans: An external cage (that is mostly hidden by the sheetmetal), fixing the A/C.... and eventually starting over with a rust-free MJ body rescued from a southern junkyard.

Dreams: An atlas 4-speed t-case, Super Swamper Irocs and a Tru Hi-9 rear diff.

Check out his build at... (well, due to apparent laziness Pete hasn't put together much of a build thread here at CC, but you can check out all of his pics at: http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie )

Favorite Mod: "The 4x4 conversion would be too obvious, so I'd say the rocker guards. I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Too bad I didn't do them before the rockers got smashed."

Least favorite mod: "I both love and loath that front mini-spool, followed by the poly Ford C-bushings (replaced them with the old rubber ones)"

How he got the truck: "I wanted a truck, but I wanted a Jeep. Then I found out I didn't have to decide. No 4x4s in my area were within my price range but I found a nice stickshift/4.0L with A/C and it was love at first drive."

Favorite moment with the truck: "A tie. A couple years after the initial buildup I drove the ol' girl 3500 miles from Detroit to Moab and back, just me, my dog and the open road, meeting and wheeling with fellow MJ owners along the way. Then a couple years later, my baby was chosen to be featured in the XJ builders guide book. And yes, I own several copies."

A favorite quote: "Sure it'd be cheaper and easier to just go buy a new truck, but where's the fun in that?"

Favorite motto: "Don't just fix it, upgrade it!"

Other vehicles: '00 Dakota R/T, an 86 MJ Big Ton, and a 90 MJ now fitted with awd.

More important than an up or down vote is we're looking for additional opinions and input. Any other categories you'd like to see? Should there be more info about the owner? (favorite beer, band, whatever, things like that). If the truck is bone stock or 2wd, what items would you like to see? Or should I just modify the individual categories to reflect what the owner has done and what is unique about the MJ.

I voted NO.

First off I LOVE the concept!!

I also love the multiple pics!! Its just the side by side layout of those pics. It necessitates scrolling to the right to view. (17" monitor) I see two choics. Smaller pics (No one likes the really small ones) OR and IMHO the better idea, stay large maybe even a tad bigger but one line per pic so the remain stacked. Better chance of not needed to scroll sideways.

The extras also look good!! Although, fav Beer is a nice idea!!

CW

Huh? i see 4 pictures underneath each other, not side by side. And the widest ones are only 600 pixels wide. No scroll bar here other then up and down.

Ad it looks great to me. Can't think of anything else we'd need.

I (like CW) like the format & multiple picture thing, but that is way too much info included. Should just be basic owner/rig info with a link to the build thread...if one exists.

Year/Model

Owner

Lift

Gears

Tires

Favorite Mod

IMHO...this would be plenty of info...then a link to the build or a personal site of the owners (if either exist) to show more.

I (like CW) like the format & multiple picture thing, but that is way too much info included. Should just be basic owner/rig info with a link to the build thread...if one exists.

Year/Model

Owner

Lift

Gears

Tires

Favorite Mod

IMHO...this would be plenty of info...then a link to the build or a personal site of the owners (if either exist) to show more.

See I was thinking that way as well, but little more info on the Person is cool to kinda learn more of the person you talk with everyday. Kinda the "who am I talking to thread",....... you heard G-Dog? :laughin:

I vote stick with:

year/model

owner

engine

trans

tcase

front axle

rear axle

lift

gears

extras

plans(imediate and long term)

link to build thread if there is one

and beer

over all though, i think mini do a great job :thumbsup:

Erik :beerhead:

I vote stick with:

year/model

owner

engine

trans

tcase

front axle

rear axle

lift

gears

extras

and beer

Thanks but Pete and I put it together.

I vote stick with:

year/model

owner

engine

trans

tcase

front axle

rear axle

lift

gears

extras

and beer

Thanks but Pete and I put it together.

and pete too :dunce:

I actually like all the extra info. It's exactly what makes this site different (better) than other related sites. It gives you a better idea of who your talking with, and since this will be a once a month thing, why not tell all you can when it becomes your turn? Looks good guys :cheers:

I actually like all the extra info. It's exactly what makes this site different (better) than other related sites. It gives you a better idea of who your talking with, and since this will be a once a month thing, why not tell all you can when it becomes your turn? Looks good guys :cheers:
:clapping: