axle strength

now i have noticed a lot of threads about lockers. just noticed that people say that the dana 35 is weak and breaks in half or waht ever but really

just how strong is a stock axle in a dana 35 are they really that bad?

Yes...they really are that bad. I have seen many of them break when someone has been taking off from a stop light. Putting a locker in them GREATLY increases the risk of breaking them.

I am one of the insane crowd that used the "Super 35" kit with the Detroit locker. I have not had an issue with it yet and have taken it on many rock crawling trips with the 33 & 35" tires, but I would never recommend anyone spend that kind of money on a D35 :roll: I could have had a D60 for what I have in that D35 now.

Yes the D35 sucks, and the c-clip ones even more so.

Countless are the stories about them breaking.

I personally saw a guy with a c-clip D35, break the clip and the axlestarted rotating out of the axle tube as he drove. Probably bummed his weekend out pretty good.

BUT

If you have one, drive it with moderation in mind. I had a D35c on my old XJ and I wheeled it pretty good once or twice... bear in mind I was just running 31*10.5s.

Don't get too frisky.

while a Dana 44 is a good investment and upgrade, the 35 will last as long as your easy on it. It isnt just gonna break as soon as you hit the trail. don't put too big of a tire on it and be easy on the skinny pedal and it should last a little bit.

well i am running 30" tires it has 3.55 a soon a EZlocker so??? in your opinion how will that hang ont the trail

Carry extra shafts. If you need some, I'm sure 95% of the people on here have some laying around.

well i am running 30" tires it has 3.55 a soon a EZlocker so??? in your opinion how will that hang ont the trail
If you are very careful and smart about the use of the skinny pedal, you "should" be OK, but there is just no telling with the D35. As I said...I have seend them break when someone was simply accelerating from a traffic light.

This was driving down the street.

I would never spend money on a D35. But, if I had one, I wouldn't let it stop me from wheeling. Just realize it will break. When it does, don't bother fixing it, replace it.

Willy

that is a big tire for that axle :eek:

Any tire is a big tire for that axle. I've seen them break with tires from stock to 35s. That just happens to be one of the only pictures I have of a broken one.

Willy

I've broken 4 of them now...

all on one truck (free replacements/didn't have to redo brakes)

either spitting ring teath, destroying spider gears, wrecked pinions, spun diff on tubes.

that's with a camaro v6 3800 in my 86 comanche...the axles just aren't strong. i've been through just as many transmissions with that motor though (ax5's are NOT meant for power...)

about how hard is it to take out the axles i going to put a locker in

Jack it up. Put jack stands under the axle. Pull the tires. Open the diff cover and drain the oil. Remove C-clips. Remove brake drums. Remove axle shafts. Install locker.

about how hard is it to take out the axles i going to put a locker in

Jack it up. Put jack stands under the axle. Pull the tires. Open the diff cover and drain the oil. Remove C-clips. Remove brake drums. Remove axle shafts. Install locker.

that's correct...for a lunchbox type locker.

you're NOT doing a locker on a dana 35 are you? that $200 for the locker is better spent buying a dana 44 then upgrading to a locker at a later date.

if it's any other type of locker...i think it's beyond your skill range (hell, it's beyond my skill range and i just monster garaged an MJ together in a week)

Like anything else talk to enough people you will hear it all. Listen to enough of them you'll find someone who agrees with you.

Best advice I have herd and passed on is Don't put any money into one. Money is better spent on a stronger replacement.

CW

(Yes, I too have broken them. :roll: :D )