time to lock it up

They are all 27 spline.

C-clip was used from '89-'92 in the MJ's; earlier models were the non c-clip. If you have an '89 than the only way to tell is to open it up.

Hope your not planning on running large tires with a locked D35; the shafts or spiders won't last long.

In a word"no" IT will ware out quick and handle weard.Use your money to buy a snatch strap,high lift jack and agood come along.Save up for a winch, detriout locker for the rear, and a selectable locker for the front. :D

... and handle weard....

The handling characteristics of an EZLocker and Detroit (and most other lockers for that matter) are the same. In turns the inside wheel is driven while the outside wheel overruns. That can cause "weird" handling if you're not used to it, but is the same for almost any automatic locker, be it EZLock, Detroit or Aussie.

what is the average cost to do one?
That depends on where you get the parts needed to do it. Some people are fortunate to find great deals in junk yards while others buy complete vehicles to strip parts from.

You need a transmission, transfer case, front axle, front driveshaft and all the small stuff like shifters & linkage to make it work.

If you don't drive on the street much look into a mini spool or a full spool. No spider gears to break. I run a mini spool in my rig and it does just fine. I have a chrysler 8 3/4 under my rig and I think the mini spool was $80 or $90 from Auburn gear.

A spool is much like welding the two axle shafts together solid. You would have to be sure that your disconnect was working to run a spool in the front or convert to manual locking hubs otherwise it would not be driveable.