Jump to content

Chevy Drop Shackles finally showed up...


Recommended Posts

Those new shackles don't look like they are going to have a chance of fitting in the same spot that the old one came out of. May just be an illusion in the pics, but the new one sure looks a lot wider.

 

Actually, the bushing rod is about the same length. I used them awhile back before I replaced my leaf packs and had to open up the upper frame bracket with a length of threaded rod and a couple of nuts/washers to get them in. You'll also need a couple of shim washers between the shackles and the spring bushings as they were a bit wider. They don't look quite as beefy though as the OEM GM shackles I used...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those new shackles don't look like they are going to have a chance of fitting in the same spot that the old one came out of. May just be an illusion in the pics, but the new one sure looks a lot wider.

 

Actually, the bushing is about the same length. I used them awhile back before I replaced my leaf packs and had to open up the upper frame bracket with a length of threaded rod and a couple of nuts/washers to get them in. You'll also need a couple of shim washers between the shackles and the spring bushings as they were a bit wider. They don't look quite as beefy though as the OEM GM shackles I used...........

 

Metal to Metal they look to be the same... Will just be a tight fit with the bushings...

 

img1445nd3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How's this look? I used the upper hole for 2 reasons... 1), it was a pain in the butt to get my springs extended, even a little bit, even using my bottle jack between the leaf and the frame (that I think doesn't extend as far as it should). 2) Even with the this hole location, it lifts the rear just a tad higher than the front (in my assumingly level garage floor). If I used the lower hole, I think the back end would be too high and look disproportionate.

 

img1446qs6.jpg

 

img1447oz6.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would of put a washer on each side of the bushing, but looks good non-the-less.

 

Gonna tease us with shots of just the shackle or you gonna post pics of the newly lifted MJ? ;)

 

I'll move a washer to the other side to even it out, it's not all tight yet anyhow... and I only got one side done and the chances of me getting the other side done tonight are not great.... And it's dark, or gonna be, so it might be at least tomorrow until there are any "finished pics"

 

SW2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would of put a washer on each side of the bushing, but looks good non-the-less.

 

Gonna tease us with shots of just the shackle or you gonna post pics of the newly lifted MJ? ;)

 

I'll move a washer to the other side to even it out, it's not all tight yet anyhow... and I only got one side done and the chances of me getting the other side done tonight are not great.... And it's dark, or gonna be, so it might be at least tomorrow until there are any "finished pics" SW2

 

Yeah, place a washer on each side to keep the geometry correct. That's the hole I used (oops :eek:); it netted a good inch lift. Leave loose until both shackles are installed, jump up and down to settle, then torque the four bolts. Looks like a pewter finish Wade. :cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

img1446qs6.jpg

 

You should really drill a hole about 1.5" forward to increase the shackle angle. This will improve your ride quality quite a bit and allow for more droop with longer shocks. :brows:

 

Trust me, you will be glad you you relocated the upper mounting point forward. It's well worth the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should really drill a hole about 1.5" forward to increase the shackle angle. This will improve your ride quality quite a bit and allow for more droop with longer shocks. :brows:

 

Trust me, you will be glad you you relocated the upper mounting point forward. It's well worth the time.

 

DOH... and I even now remember you mentioning this in another thread or PM...

 

I got the shackles bolted up on both sides already and probably won't have time to drop em again to drill the holes right now (I'm lucky I had time to stick em on this evening). That might have to be a project for another day.

 

I also think this will be a temporary setup and not sure how much Offroad it's going to see in the current config (with the "Budget Boost"). It was a cheap and fairly easy setup to get me just a little bit of extra space until I could afford a 3"-3.5" kit and new 31's. Neither of those things are going to happen until I get my engine stuff worked out (stoker swap hopefully).

 

I just need to torque down the bolts (anyone have the Torque #'s off the top of their head so I don't have to go look?), and I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. I don't really have a good before Pic, except for the one when I still had my Pioneer Stripes and I didn't really do a before and after measurement, which I really should have, but oh well.

 

SW2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...