another 97+ front end thread

I did a search and looked through all 35 pages, got most of the info I needed. In my case I'm looking to get 8 parts (listed in pic below) and I think this should be all I need. I'm going to run the old fenders for now, if I don't like the way it looks or if I just feel like it I will replace the fenders with the new style ones.

Question 1: While searching I read about a center support, but that is the only time I heard about it. is there one? is it needed?

Question 2: also read about changing the fender bracket (http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10459&highlight=front+end) is this needed if I'm not swapping the fenders?

Question 3: where have you found to be the best place to buy the parts? the JYs around here are not that great and I have yet to locate a usable 97+ front clip. this is where I have researched and i was just wondering if anyone had found any better priced places?

Prices do not include shipping

And where would I go about getting a headlight wiring harness for a 97+? I know I can use my old one but its a little ratty and I had to repair some wires and I would rather wire it starting with a clean slate, Hopefully I can find on at a JY so I can cut before the plug and use that so I can unplug if I ever need to.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Yes, yes, and yes... Ive used Certifit lots of times.. Its aftermarket sheet metal.. Just don't go into it thinking its OEM. The prices are cheap for a reason.. The fit isnt as good as oem, but for the price you can't beat it.. The metal is thinner too. Overall I like certifit just because of their great prices, plus they'll deliver where I'm at..

I can't remember the name anymore, but there's a chain of body supply stores that has among other things, fenders for $29 new.

And OceanstateJeeps sells complete header assemblies on Ebay every 2 weeks or so. Header panel, grill, headlight doors, lenses, bulbs and wiring harness complete for less than you added up to. I know he sells pre 97, but might also have 97+

I did a search and looked through all 35 pages, got most of the info I needed. In my case I'm looking to get 8 parts (listed in pic below) and I think this should be all I need. I'm going to run the old fenders for now, if I don't like the way it looks or if I just feel like it I will replace the fenders with the new style ones.

Question 1: While searching I read about a center support, but that is the only time I heard about it. is there one? is it needed?

Question 2: also read about changing the fender bracket (http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10459&highlight=front+end) is this needed if I'm not swapping the fenders?

Question 3: where have you found to be the best place to buy the parts? the JYs around here are not that great and I have yet to locate a usable 97+ front clip. this is where I have researched and i was just wondering if anyone had found any better priced places?

Prices do not include shipping

And where would I go about getting a headlight wiring harness for a 97+? I know I can use my old one but its a little ratty and I had to repair some wires and I would rather wire it starting with a clean slate, Hopefully I can find on at a JY so I can cut before the plug and use that so I can unplug if I ever need to.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I may have the wiring. Let me look in my box of parts and I'll let you know

Brian

OK, went to the local JY and had a look around, they had a 98 Cherokee but someone had already taken the engine and whole front end :headpop:

I did pick up the wiring harness though.

They also had a newer Cherokee in a fenced off area. I could just see the side markers on it and they were taunting me so i asked them about it. they said no one is allowed in there (still don't know exactly why, my guess is they are nicer vehicles then the ones in the main yard and they don't want people going "oooh i want that...smash...crack...kick..." and ruining the rest of the vehicle) but I asked how much if they removed it for me and they said 300 bucks, and the kicker is that he said if the one in the main yard had been there... 60 bucks??? what is so green about the grass on the other side of THAT fence?

so here is my question, if I were to buy the parts separately what hardware do you need to attach everything together? is it the same bolts that holds on the older header panel? where would one suggest getting these bolts? do they sell a front end fastener set at the dealership? (I wish). I'm pretty sure I could just reuse the old bolts and such but there is such a mismatch of hardware holding on the old stuff, I'm not sure what was supposed to go where.

Thank you,

Jonathan

I'm working on this swap myself. I have the header panel, bezels turn signals, front bumper and end caps and grill. I purchased the items from our local Certifit in Denver. The header panel is not as sturdy as the OEM fiberglass, but it will suffice, and seems to fit just fine. I have yet to get the fenders but will eventually swap those too.

The center rad support bracket has four mounting holes for the front fascia/header panel with the same pattern as the original, but the 97+ has different sized mounting holes, larger than the 96-. These would normally accept a tapped threaded stud, but the Certifit part has no hardware, and I did not feel like waiting on DC to order overpriced parts, so I fabbed my own solution.

In order to make my new header panel fit I had to run a 7/16x14 tap into each hole, 6 total, and thread them to secure a short bolt that will mount the header panel to the front top support bracket. You have to be carefull not to overtighten the bolts since it is plastic. These worked very well, and cost all of a total $1.95 for the six 7/16 x 14 bolts from my local NAPA. The other issue you have with a new Certifit header panel is you need to purchase all the screws and nylon inserts to attach the grill and bezels. I found a mixed assortment at my Napa and Autozone parts store so it shouldnt be hard to locate them. Think you need a total of 14.

Since I am going to have to wait to get the two 97+ front fenders I could not yet secure the sides of the header panel as they should be, the 96- fenders have a different mounting pattern to secure he header panel so they will not work properly.

But I did fab two steel tabs to attach the bottom of the header to the front rad support base. These were simply 1/8"x 1" steel strip cut to two pieces , holes drilled for two screws each then attached to bottom of the header panel and the rad support, this has stabilized the header panel securely and it does not move or rattle at all. For now this will suffice , until I can get the fenders and do it up correctly.

I also have a new 97+ bumper, end caps and mounting brackets so it will look more consistent, the old license plate bracket bolts right up to the new bumper, but the end caps will not be workable until the new fenders are installed. Unless someone wants to sawzall the fenders, but I chose to be patient and wait. Here is my progress so far.

All said at this time my cost has been about $170 for these parts + or - $10 and taxes. If you chose to get your header panel from a local JY you will usually save the extra time and small hardware problems since most will have these already attached. An example was I found a good used OEM panel at a local JY here for $100 without headlight hardware, so it might be worth spending a bit more just to save the hassle if your inclined.

My next project will be the two front fenders to 97+, then finish prepping and new paint.

I'm working on this swap myself. I have the header panel, bezels turn signals, front bumper and end caps and grill. I purchased the items from our local Certifit in Denver. The header panel is not as sturdy as the OEM fiberglass, but it will suffice, and seems to fit just fine. I have yet to get the fenders but will swap those too.

The center rad support bracket has mounting holes for the front fascia/header panel with the same pattern as the original, but the 97+ has different sized mounting holes, larger than the 96-. In order to make my new header panel fit I had to run a 7/16x14 tap into each hole, 6 total, and thread them to secure a short bolt that will mount the header panel to the front top support bracket.I'm working on pics, will get them up later today.

If you need any OEM parts ay 25% list from projeep off 104th let me know. the fiberglass header is less than $200 from them with my discount.