4x4 driveshaft

I'm still doing my 4x4 conversion and just put in my transmission and transfer case and rear driveshaft. My combo is 4.0, AX-15, NV242, Dana 44, 3 inch lift. My question is how much play should be at the slip joint at the back of the transfer case. I didn't pay much attention when I took out the 2wd. I'm pretty sure I'm fine but thought I'd double check. Thanks.

the gap is smaller than your first pic definitely not like the last one so I should be good. Thanks

No, you may NOT be good.

You NEED some gap because the driveshaft is at an angle. When the suspension compresses, the angle flattens out and the distance between the tailshaft and the rear axle is reduced. You need enough clearance for the slip yoke to ... slip ... into the tailshaft to take up that change in distance. If you don't have enough gap to allow the axle to compress to the bump stops, you risk breaking things.

I'm using a stock shaft from a 1991 4x4. Don't know what axle was in the donor truck. I haven't measured the gap but I will tonight. I'll take out the sand bags when I do it. What's your guess on the minimum needed?

along those lines , what about the front shaft? i finally got 1 today, it seemed i had to jam it in and at sundown i only had time to go about 100' in front of house , but there seemed to be huge binding issues throughout drivetrain when engaged ( by me crawling under and engaging the shift lever) !!!????!!

Especially on dry pavement you will have binding issues when turning in 4WD. If you have binding issues going in a straight line, either your tires of different sizes on your axles, or more likely, different ratio front and rear axles.

I believe the donor was a 4.0 but can't remember if it was an auto or manual. Probably a manual since I got the front axle for free and it has 3.07 gears. I know these suck but it matches the rear and I have a 3.73 for the later gear change and free is free.

The 4.0L/suto rear driveshaft is about 1 inch shorter than the manual (due to the auto trans being 1 inch longer than the manual trans). I put a np-242 into my 90 and the D-shaft is just a bit too long so I picked up an auto shaft to try. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but then I don't drive the truck so it's further down on the to-do list. :roll:

I'm using a stock shaft from a 1991 4x4. Don't know what axle was in the donor truck. I haven't measured the gap but I will tonight. I'll take out the sand bags when I do it. What's your guess on the minimum needed?

It would be more useful to add more weight, until you get the frame to sit on the bump stops. Then check to be sure there is still SOME clearance (don't need much, but enough to be sure the yoke isn't slammed into the tailshaft housing).

o.k. finally got under the truck with the sand bags out. Still have the canopy on it, but it can't weigh more than 60 lbs. I think I might have 1 ton springs (Junk yard find) since they have one more leaf than I originally had. I don't think I own enough stuff to put enough weight in the ben to bottom it out. I bounce on the rear bumper and it barely moves (I weigh 180). Anyway right now I have less than half an inch so I'm guessing that's not enough. Took a pic but not smart enough to put it in here.[/img]

To post a picture you have to first upload it to a place like photobucket.com. You then use the tag to link to it.

Nice thing about photobucket is that it provides the link for you, and all you do is cut and paste it into your message.

I don't have a 231 to measure (began with a 2wd) but it must be. Here's my drivetrain with years. 1992 2wd truck. 1992 4.0, 1994 ax-15, 1989 nv242, and 1992 dana 44 rear end. Maybe the d44 is a little longer than the usual d35. Also don't have one of these to measure. I do have a 3 inch lift (mines 4 inch since it began as a 2wd). I'll measure my 242 and dana 44 tonight and post the measurements and maybe someone else can measure a 231 and a d35. I've read in various places that the 242 is the same length and that it is one inch longer. Might as well get to the bottom of it.

I am having a 'shaft cut down, as I can't find a factory one. The drivetrain is 4.0, AW-4, NP 242 and a D35. The "at rest" length that I came up with is 40 1/4". Still spring UNDER. I hope this helps some.