AW4 swap - replace 1991 with 2000

The AW-4 was used in the XJ until 2001 at the demise of the cherokee.

Bolt in wise, the 2000 AW-4 with bolt right in. Wiring though is the problem. The 2000 (not sure year it started) AW has an extra sensor and requires the late model wiring harness.

I ran into this problem in reverse, when I wanted to install a early AW-4 behind my 01 XJ motor I was putting in my MJ. I ended up spending the extra and getting the AW that was behind that 01 motor.

Bolt in wise, the 2000 AW-4 with bolt right in. Wiring though is the problem. The 2000 (not sure year it started) AW has an extra sensor and requires the late model wiring harness.

Started in 97, OBDII.

if you guys could gripe any about the aw4 what would they be?? I'm buying a xj and it makes a noise in park at idle.. Think it needs rebuilt? or replaced??

like whats the biggest problem for these trans? I had a older xj many years ago I remember it used to go in and out of overdrive or feel like it was trying to change gears on the highway.. Just want to brace myself for this 96 I'm getting...

190k and shifts mint. i drain the pan at every oil change and throw in 3.5-4.5 quarts of tranny fluid. i also use a lucas transmission fix everyonce in awhile. i can't complain

whats the recommended tranny fluid for the aw-4... please don't tell me its dextron III.... I just spent my lifes saving on a refill in my Rodeo and is highly recommended to use that $7 a qrt fluid..

Just ATF right??

190k and shifts mint. i drain the pan at every oil change and throw in 3.5-4.5 quarts of tranny fluid. i also use a lucas transmission fix everyonce in awhile. i can't complain

whats the recommended tranny fluid for the aw-4... please don't tell me its dextron III.... I just spent my lifes saving on a refill in my Rodeo and is highly recommended to use that $7 a qrt fluid..

Just ATF right??

AW4s use Mercon/Dexron. Do NOT use Chrysler ATF+3/4 no matter what the dealer, repair shop, or idiot behind the counter at the parts store tells you. :D

Willy