8.8 Ford axle

The Super kit is basicly a c-clip eliminator setup that includes new shafts correct? I think that you have to bolt something on the end of the axle tubes also correct? Do you think that it now putting stress in a different area makes the shaft more prone to breakage at the end where yours broke?

They guy I know that broke it did it in his XJ running 37" Krawlers and was hammering the snot out of the skinny pedal so it wasn't much of a surprise. His was an early kit (I think made some time on late 04/early 05) and they took care of him well.

Still don't know anyone who has broken a stock shaft. Only two that have bent them at the flange.

• 1 month later...
Looks like I am about to do an 8.8 swap as well. I have one that has the same G/R. Downside is drum brakes. What does one have to do about the E-brake cable?

Not sure. I've never seen the drum-braked version up close. :dunno: I imagine it's just a matter of adapting your current lines to where the Ford's line attach. Got any pictures?

Just a note... many of the drum brake 8.8's where not 31SPL....

Brake lines are a non issue. They screw into the brake hose on one end and the wheel cylinder on the other. The thread is pretty much universal for American cars.

CW

According to the Explorer guys I talked to a few years back, all of the Explorer axles are 31 spline. Apparently it's the cars and rangers that got the lesser splined 8.8s. But I've never torn a drum one apart so I can't say for sure.